Crashing issue on SHIELD (UK H264)

Sent :slight_smile:

just sent diagnostics after latest crash. Channel will not play at all after this crash - despite closing app on ANR screen.

Furthermore, I went from Channels to Plex after the crash and itā€™s caused Olex to stop responding too. Shield will need a reboot :frowning:

@Andrewpmoore Can you opt-in to the beta via https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.getchannels.app and see how that does.

@psykix Build 13 is now available via beta. Please give it a try and confirm whether or not tuning is faster. And submit another diagnostic log after playing an HD channel. Thanks!

Iā€™ve uploaded build 15 which should fix the playback issue. Let me know how it works!

Itā€™s worse. Crashes almost straight away now.

Is it crashing, or showing an ANR (Application Not Responding)?

SD channels still play fine?

Do you have the Surround Sound option on the Player Settings tab On or Off?

Hi,

It now freezes the picture, and then the ANR appears on screen - usually after pressing a remote button.

Havenā€™t tried SD as I donā€™t usually have any on my channel list.

I have tried with surround on and off, as when you mentioned it may be audio related yesterday, that was my first thought.

I did send further diagnostic reports, but I donā€™t know if they are reset after an app crash and restart?

They are reset, so I didnā€™t get anything useful from the diagnostics.

Iā€™m surprised I donā€™t see any regular crash reports or ANR reports like I was earlier.

Can you trigger the crash a few more times?

Yes sure - will it send you reports automatically?

I captured a new video and emailed it to you.

It was pretty big and asked me if I wanted to use Maildrop - so see what you end up with at your end!

Reports are supposed to come in automatically, yes.

Make sure that on your SHIELD settings, under Personal > Usage & Diagnostics is turned on. That turns on the system level crash reporting.

We also have our own app-level crash reporter in the beta, which triggers when you re-launch the app after a crash.

Thanks for the videoā€¦ I suspect the issue now is it related to the audio switching between 5.1 and 2.0, which happens during commercial and program switches.

If you tune into something like BBC which has limited commercials, does it work for longer?

This recording doesnā€™t have any commercial breaks, and now plays just fine for me on the latest beta.

Perhaps you can send me another which contains some program/ad transitions, so I can see if audio changes are in-fact causing the remaining issues.

Itā€™s nothing to do with commercials - it crashes even if I start a programme on BBC (which has no commercials as such).

I can send another video if you want me to prove the point, but it crashes within a couple of minutes on BBC without a programme ending or any transitions.

It makes no difference which channel I use. The crash happens on all channels and after a similar amount of time.

Furthermoreā€¦

Anything recorded with the DVR plays just fine on the Shield TV via Plex (obviously I canā€™t check playback through the Channels app, as the DVR is not supported yet)

Is there any way for me to test playback of recorded channels through the app?

Thanks, thatā€™s helpful to know. I guess my hypothesis is bunked.

I have a two-hour long BBC recording here, so let me try playing that for a while and see if I can hit the same problem.

Good news, playing this locks up almost right away. Now that I can reproduce reliably I should be able to figure out what is going on.

1 Like

Itā€™s nothing to do with the fact that our HD broadcasts in the UK are 1080i I donā€™t suppose?

Actually Iā€™m not sure if that is correct any more, so ignore!

Indeed it appears to be related to interlaced H264 decoding.

Yeah, Plex reports all the recordings to be 1080i