Crashing issue on SHIELD (UK H264)

I shouldn’t need to opt in again, if the production version equals or is greater than the build number of the beta then I’ll get that, otherwise I should get the beta. I’ve been an android developer for over 8 years so if you’ve any android dev questions just shout and I’ll try help.

After leaving the app running overnight it was still running, but as soon as I pressed the remote it crashed. I sent through a standard android crash report for it.

Thanks. I did bump the versionCode so I’m surprised it didn’t update to the new beta.

Either way I’ve pushed out a new prod build which fixes some crash reports I saw, and also enables the diagnostic option for everyone.

At the moment I’m not sure if mine has updated, but it crashes on run now (even after clearing data). I’ve just sent a crash report for it

Edit, 1.0.2 just downloaded so it’s working again. I’ll send a report if there’s the sync issue again

1 Like

Just tried 1.0.2 - programme broke up after about 10 seconds. Have submitted diagnostic report.

Watched for about an hour. The was a glitch right at the beginning but it has been ok since… so a definite improvement!

When the glitch happens… if you wait a bit and then rewind to watch that part again, does it glitch again st the same point?

Yes it does.

1 Like

Thanks. And the HDHR view app shows no similar issues at all.

Can you visit my.hdhomerun.com and check the tuner status to see what the signal strength/quality rates are like?

Mine ran overnight fine for the first time. The only issue being the guide that was missing some channels in the morning

I then checked HDHomerun and the data showed there correctly (as attached).

Went back into channels and it still didn't show. Which meant I couldn't select those channels from the guide at all.

I sent a guide diagnosis report through.

While this might not be the correct place for this, I think having the current time on screen somewhere in the guide would be handy.

1 Like

Ok, two different channels…

Both are around 60% signal strength, 24% signal quality.

One thing I did find odd… I noticed some adverts on ITV Granada but they were related to health services in Wales…

I need to check my channels - presumably it’s related to the DVR backend.

And yes, everything plays perfectly using HDHomerun app.

Well… duh…

Channels all seem to be Welsh version… No idea why!

Currently doing a channel scan and it is replacing the Welsh ones with the correct ones. No idea how I ended up with Welsh channels…

Ok, now I have 91% signal strength and 95% quality.

BBC One HD doesn’t work at all though, so I need to look into that.

Right… seems to have the right channels now! Apologies for sending you on a wild goose chase, but I have no idea how the channels changed!

Will keep an eye on it today :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’ll need to keep an eye on it continuously. HDHRs occasionally do a rescan on their own (1-2/week?), and I frequently get Winter Hill (NW England) replaced with Moel-Y-Parc (North Wales) on some of the stronger muxes, even though Winter Hill is always far stronger in my location. People have been asking Silicon Dust for ages to either disable the automatic rescans or provide some way to specify a preferred region or transmitter, but they’ve never done anything about it.

1 Like

Thanks, that will explain it then.

That could well be a showstopper for me.

Next time it does it, I’ll log a ticket with them.

If your signal from Winter Hill is strong, you could try adding a 3 or 6 dB attenuator to your aerial lead to try to weaken the Moel-Y-Parc signal so the HDHR won’t latch onto it. You can get one for a few pounds off Amazon. I did that and rarely have a problem now. Still would be nice if the HDHRs only did a rescan when I tell them to.

2 Likes

Just sent some diagnostics through as the audio was a little out of sync although I did have it quite a bit worse a previous day

Sent through a couple of ANR reports yesterday. Happened when using the DVR beta and skipping forward.
In general it worked really well (very pleased with the speed compared to plex) but once it hanged, then killing, force stopping etc didn’t resume until I rebooted the shield. It also took out being able to use plex at the same time until rebooted.

On the whole looking great and nice to see how quickly dvr playback has been added.

1 Like

Hmm I didn’t see any ANRs come through. Was it really “not responding”, or just a regular “stopped” crash?

Wow. Maybe you can try to “adb logcat” if it happens again to see what is happening.

I’ll give it a go. It was certainly an anr with the repeating “wait” option