Customize recording paths

Is it possible customize the path of a DVR recording vs the path it gets archived/moved to? For example, I’d like the recording to be written to an SSD first so that any writes are silent and then moved to a hard drive array for long term storage once the recording has completed. Is this currently possible in Channels DVR?

There is no move step. The recording is saved directly to the destination.

Thought it was in the FAQ's, but can't find it there.
You can add an additional directory to the DVR and move your completed recordings there (Channels DVR won't do it, but you can using whatever way you choose) and it will still recognize them in the new location.

Looking for that post (that should be in FAQ's)...

Now I know why it's not in the FAQ's, was supposed to be added to the DVR web UI, but hasn't yet.

Warning, long thread, but it contains the answer you're looking for here

And here

More of a "hack" that works at this point vs a polished feature.

On Mac Mini I use several Hazel rules. First after 6 hours all recordings are moved to google drive location. Another rules are for deleting empty directories, matching files with pattern
“Anything S\digit\digitE\digit\digit it goes for TV subdirectory other pattern goes to Movies subdirectory.
In each of subdirectories you must create rule that extract just title and do “sort into subfolder” and check if “subfolder depth is 0”
Therefore files are placed in external location under exact paths as they are supposed to be read by Channels .

Just added second storage and read your post regarding Hazel. Could you share your rules? Thx!

1 Like

Sure
After 1.5 hours after recording is done a movie is transferred to my Google Drive folders called "ChannelsDVR"

in rec/TV folder there is a similar rule but adding different tag color to differentaite shows vs movies

I have also for TV folder one rule to delete empty folders and another:

so the rule continue to match in subfolders and is executed in each, therefore no matter how deep is your subfolder structure all the empty ones will be delted.

Rules for ChannelsDVR folder on Google Drive
channelshazel.zip

The challenging part was creating name matching rules in script. base on that all files in ChannelsDVR folder are sorted to Movies and TV folder. on TV folder there is another rule that sort file into folders to match the name from database.
Be advised , developers made a little mistake and "Magnum P.I." has folder name "Magnum P.I" without dot in the end so I had to change folder name manually and I'm not sure what I did but it works :smiley:

1 Like