Cute little touchscreen / smart alarm clock / BT speaker / charging dock that is now also a TV running Channels

It is only on the Beta right now.

Hey @Fofer what are you using for the “idle” Home Screen?

Got channels working on this. Kitchen tv activated and spousal verbal jabs incoming :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use mine as an alarm and Clock / Weather when not viewing channels.... easy to go back and forth.

In the kitchen I leave it on the stock Clock / Weather, I think it just looks nicest. In the bedroom I have it on Discreet Launcher, set it up with a dark screen, only a clock with date in the middle.

I swipe down to see my favorited apps, and tap to launch one.

2 Likes

Possibly dumb question: how do you get Channels beta on this device without the Play Store?

“Manual sideload:”

Hmm, thanks. At least on iOS and tvOS, this used to be under the “Debug” menu. That recently changed.

FYI, this eBay seller just put more of these up for sale, $35 shipped. I bought my original one from this seller and it was like new. Just ordered a 2nd one. This one shows open box but they have a separate listing for the same $ that’s marked as refurbished.

Very cool! Just note, that listing doesn't include the charging pad, which also is not sold separately.

I didn't expect much but I'm kind of liking the charging pad. The phone requires precise placement, but I appreciate how the base of the clock lights up for a moment, to confirm it'll be charging.

Good point. I got the charging pad with my first one and I like it as well but don’t have a need for a second charging pad.

1 Like

$30 shipped (used but seller has :100: feedback with over 10k reviews)

No I’m not affiliated :grinning:
No charging pad, no free smart💡but this is the lowest I’ve seen since the Lowe’s deal

The fonts on the screen keep getting bigger and bigger is there a way to set the fonts small again ?

Hmm, I haven't seen that issue before. Is is system-wide for all apps or is it in your home page / app launcher?

Home page launcher. Have to do a lot of scrolling.

OK I don't use LastLauncher, I use DiscreteLauncher, but I'm guessing the former has some sort of Accessibilty settings that are causing some taps to increase the font size? If that doesn't get you in the right direction I'd recommend checking out DiscreteLauncher, it looks a lot nicer with more customization. You might prefer it. If not, at the very least, that would let you delete LastLauncher, and re-install it fresh, to see if that fixes the issue for you.

Thanks that led me in the right direction long press on the menu item brings up a font resize and color. Also the more I tap on screen it grows but there is a freeze font setting.

I’m also using Discrete Launcher and recently discovered the “interactive clock” setting that lets you open the “stock” Home clock by touching the Discrete Launcher clock as well as the ability to open apps with swipe left/right gestures.

And I don’t know if others are following the thread over at XDA but per a post there I replaced Button Remapper with Key Mapper which lets you assign an app or setting to the Lenovo’s tap sensor (thing that let’s you snooze the alarm. I’m also loving the ability to set more complex triggers like:

pressing “volume up” immediately followed by “volume down” to open Channels etc.

This allows for single presses of the volume keys to behave as normal.

This is fun, the Home Assistant community has discovered our favorite little smart clock and its uber customizability, once “jailbroken” and APKs are sideloaded. It will be fun to see what other discoveries, tips and tricks are shared as it gets even more popular.

Glad I grabbed a bunch of these!

Oh, and here’s a much more thorough and professional video tutorial including details of how to block it from the internet while still allowing it to operate as a smarthome controller:

4 Likes

I have a few and as well and saw that same thread. I plan on setting a couple up with Home Assistant - once I get Home Assistant installed that is.

I’m enjoying having one below my monitor for the time and weather when I’m not using it for Channels or music. Despite having the time available in so many places…it’s already saved me from being late a couple times.

They sure seem to randomly reboot a lot though. Ended up changing my Home Screen back to the default Home app for that reason. Saw someone saying that theirs doesn’t reconnect to wifi automatically after a reboot but I’ve not had that problem.

Yes I'm really enjoying these little devices various places around the house. But hmm, none of mine have ever randomly rebooted, AFAIK. What apps have you installed? I do notice that sometimes they lose WiFi connection (when other nearby devices don't.) But they seem to quickly recover so it hasn't caused a problem.