Cute little touchscreen / smart alarm clock / BT speaker / charging dock that is now also a TV running Channels

OK I don't use LastLauncher, I use DiscreteLauncher, but I'm guessing the former has some sort of Accessibilty settings that are causing some taps to increase the font size? If that doesn't get you in the right direction I'd recommend checking out DiscreteLauncher, it looks a lot nicer with more customization. You might prefer it. If not, at the very least, that would let you delete LastLauncher, and re-install it fresh, to see if that fixes the issue for you.

Thanks that led me in the right direction long press on the menu item brings up a font resize and color. Also the more I tap on screen it grows but there is a freeze font setting.

Iā€™m also using Discrete Launcher and recently discovered the ā€œinteractive clockā€ setting that lets you open the ā€œstockā€ Home clock by touching the Discrete Launcher clock as well as the ability to open apps with swipe left/right gestures.

And I donā€™t know if others are following the thread over at XDA but per a post there I replaced Button Remapper with Key Mapper which lets you assign an app or setting to the Lenovoā€™s tap sensor (thing that letā€™s you snooze the alarm. Iā€™m also loving the ability to set more complex triggers like:

pressing ā€œvolume upā€ immediately followed by ā€œvolume downā€ to open Channels etc.

This allows for single presses of the volume keys to behave as normal.

This is fun, the Home Assistant community has discovered our favorite little smart clock and its uber customizability, once ā€œjailbrokenā€ and APKs are sideloaded. It will be fun to see what other discoveries, tips and tricks are shared as it gets even more popular.

Glad I grabbed a bunch of these!

Oh, and hereā€™s a much more thorough and professional video tutorial including details of how to block it from the internet while still allowing it to operate as a smarthome controller:

4 Likes

I have a few and as well and saw that same thread. I plan on setting a couple up with Home Assistant - once I get Home Assistant installed that is.

Iā€™m enjoying having one below my monitor for the time and weather when Iā€™m not using it for Channels or music. Despite having the time available in so many placesā€¦itā€™s already saved me from being late a couple times.

They sure seem to randomly reboot a lot though. Ended up changing my Home Screen back to the default Home app for that reason. Saw someone saying that theirs doesnā€™t reconnect to wifi automatically after a reboot but Iā€™ve not had that problem.

Yes I'm really enjoying these little devices various places around the house. But hmm, none of mine have ever randomly rebooted, AFAIK. What apps have you installed? I do notice that sometimes they lose WiFi connection (when other nearby devices don't.) But they seem to quickly recover so it hasn't caused a problem.

I was mostly just curious. I donā€™t have anything too weird installed - just Channels, Apple Music, Anysoft Keyboard, Discreet Launcher, Key Mapper, Set Orientation, Target Home Launcher and thatā€™s about it.

Mine have both been rebooting regularly since set them up. Iā€™ve seen the reboot issue mentioned in XDA, in the original setup video you posted above and elsewhere (maybe Reddit). But itā€™s not really affecting me now. I may have made it sound like theyā€™re rebooting every hour or something but itā€™s more like once or twice a day. I really only noticed it because they were going back to the launcher and even that wasnā€™t a deal breaker since I have Discreet Launcher set to show the clock.

Maybe itā€™s just a feature :joy: - Iā€™ve had devices that I had to set timers on to reboot so they would behave better.

I can't get it to connect to Channels. It gives me a message to go to 192.168.x.x:8089 to complete setup, so I go to the browser, get my authorization code, and I can see the DVR settings. But then going back to the Channels app (I installed the Channels Carbon one) I get the same message. Options are Try Again or Connect to Channels DVR, Try again does nothing. Connect to DVR gives a popup about connecting away from home, but I have no way to scroll down to tap anything. How did you get this to connect. I am on my home network so it should connect.

It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure I used the "Set Orientation" app to get the Channels app to display in portrait mode (temporarily) on the Lenovo screen, so I could see and tap that button on the bottom of its login splash screen, in order to connect and confirm. And once I did that everything worked fine and I could keep using the Channels app, in landscape mode again. I've been using it every day for months now.

Iā€™ll give that a try. Thanks.

Installed Set Orientation. There were 2 versions in APKPure. One it said was for an older version and wouldn't work, so I installed the other. It says to pull down on the notification bar and tap the icon. Pulling down on the top of the screen does nothing. Full disclosure, I'm an Apple guy and this Android stuff just never works easily.

Yeah and this is an old, long-retired version of Android, called "Android Things" that we've essentially "jailbroken" in order to install and launch application APKs on a device they were never intended for, so things can certainly get wonky.

Anyway, I've installed Channels successfully on 4 of these though, so I know it's possible. After I "Set Orientation" to portrait, I exit that app and launch Channels, didn't have to do any swiping or pulling. Maybe try rebooting the device and trying again? And if it still doesn't work, please share a pic here, of the screen you're stuck on. I'm sure that I or someone else who's gone down this same path will be able to figure it out with you in order to help.

Looks like I needed the older version. That fixed it. Finally able to connect. Thanks!!

I don't have this clock but noticed it's on sale for $12 at Walmart

Lenovo Smart Clock Essential Robot or human?

Thatā€™s not the same model nor is it running Android Things. The model this thread is about is Lenovo Smart Clock Gen 2.

Are there any other Smart Clocks (like the Xaiomi Mi Smart Clock) that can be unlocked like this?

1 Like

Not that Iā€™m aware of.

Found another use for this thing: Running an app that turns it into a Stream Deck-like device. There are a few different apps like this and I downloaded Deckboard and will probably give it a try too but Touch Panel seems to work pretty well so far.

Of course I started with Channels to experiment with. Not like I necessarily need another way to control Channels but itā€™s pretty slick. The Pro version of Touch Panel lets you add more buttons, customize the background etc.