Debugging unpredictable network issues

I have Channels DVR running on a Synology DS218 and the client running on an Apple TV and Shield TV. Everything works fine in general, but every once in a while (somewhere in the two to three hour range on average) I'll get buffering on live TV. Since it's not predictable when it will happen, how do I debug it? I have pfSense running on a Netgate SG-1100.

logs would be a good start but what source is giving you the problem? TVE, HDHR? If HDHR is tuner sharing enabled? Some info on how your network is architected would be good to know as well.

Tuner Sharing was turned on, but only one of the two devices that have Channels on them was in use each time I have encountered the problem. I have turned Tuner Sharing off just to be safe. I am using a Netgate SG-1100 which is hard wired to an Orbi RBS50. The Apple TV and Shield TV are hard wired to the Orbi.

Just curious why the Orbi? Hopefully you aren't doing double nat. (not saying that is the root cause just curious). Im a pfsense user as well

We use the Orbi for wifi.

I'm assuming u are using an HDHR. Basically tuner sharing means that you are going Appletv -> channels -> HDHR. without tuner sharing its just Appletv -> HDHR. So I would see if the issue happens with tuner sharing off. If it doesn't then you have narrowed down your issue. Now if you are doing TVE then that has tuner sharing on by design.

Try using the HDHR app all by itself, to watch the specific channel LIVE directly from the HDHR that causes the random buffering. Perhaps it's an antenna signal issue, and nothing to do with Channels OR your network in general.

If so, you'll need to go from there. Perhaps a slight re-aim of the antenna, etc will make the difference.

I forgot to mention in my original posting that I'm using an HDHR. Now all I have to do is wait until there's a football game or the World Cup so I can watch it for hours at a time.

I'll use the HDHR app by itself if I have to to debug this thing, but I'm not a fan of its UI. I'm using an Antennas Direct ClearStream 2MAX in an upstairs bedroom, so I've considered that that may be the issue, but the signal meter shows 100% Quality and 100% strength for the stations that are buffering. There were no weather issues that might interfere with the signal, and when the video froze it was usually for at least ten seconds, so I can't think of anything outside the house that might have caused the problem.

That's a dead giveaway your signal level may be TOO HIGH. Since it tops out at 100%, who knows how high it really is.

HDHR's are known to be too sensitive to too high of a signal level, and it can cause as much issues as too low of a signal. Perhaps using some attenuators on the HDHR antenna input, or if you don't have any handy, running it through some splitters to cut down the signal might help.

Get the signal level down BELOW 100% and see if it helps. Anything around 90-95% should be perfect, as long as QUALITY stays high.

Also record something from that channel and then look at the stats in the logs to see what is happening. You can tell if there are errors etc

Good point!

I’ve got a signal splitter that I used in the past to feed the antenna to two HDHRs. I’m unable to locate the second HDHR. Will connecting it to just the one HDHR affect the signal strength?

IF the antenna splitter is still in place, and the HDHR you are using is still hooked to one side, it sounds like it's maybe still getting too high of a signal level.

IF the splitter was removed completely, and the antenna hooked directly to the HDHR, that'll definitely be a higher signal of at least 3.5dB (doubling) IF it's only a two-way splitter, as those typically have a 3.5dB loss.

There is no amplifier being used correct?

No, whether the device is connected or not has no effect of signal. When you use a 2 way splitter it drops each leg by -3.5dBmv . How close are you to the towers? I am about 8 miles and have to have 12db of attenuation to not overdrive my HDHR's

Good point and something to consider trying.

What makes you think the buffering is due to a network issue?
Do the clients display a tuner reception problems or network error popup?

The splitter was removed from the antenna a long time ago. I started a long recording of a channel with a strong signal and so far the log has not reported any issues. I’ll connect the splitter once the recording has finished.

I am approximately 24 miles from the tower.

You will only see the [SNR] entry in the log when the recording completes.

2022/11/27 21:15:00.412130 [SNR] Statistics for "TV/Yellowstone/Yellowstone S05E04 Horses in Heaven 2022-11-27-2000.mpg": ss=93%-94% snq=100% seq=99%,0%-100% bps=3974555,0-4277376 pps=340,0-366