Debugging unpredictable network issues

Also record something from that channel and then look at the stats in the logs to see what is happening. You can tell if there are errors etc

Good point!

I’ve got a signal splitter that I used in the past to feed the antenna to two HDHRs. I’m unable to locate the second HDHR. Will connecting it to just the one HDHR affect the signal strength?

IF the antenna splitter is still in place, and the HDHR you are using is still hooked to one side, it sounds like it's maybe still getting too high of a signal level.

IF the splitter was removed completely, and the antenna hooked directly to the HDHR, that'll definitely be a higher signal of at least 3.5dB (doubling) IF it's only a two-way splitter, as those typically have a 3.5dB loss.

There is no amplifier being used correct?

No, whether the device is connected or not has no effect of signal. When you use a 2 way splitter it drops each leg by -3.5dBmv . How close are you to the towers? I am about 8 miles and have to have 12db of attenuation to not overdrive my HDHR's

Good point and something to consider trying.

What makes you think the buffering is due to a network issue?
Do the clients display a tuner reception problems or network error popup?

The splitter was removed from the antenna a long time ago. I started a long recording of a channel with a strong signal and so far the log has not reported any issues. I’ll connect the splitter once the recording has finished.

I am approximately 24 miles from the tower.

You will only see the [SNR] entry in the log when the recording completes.

2022/11/27 21:15:00.412130 [SNR] Statistics for "TV/Yellowstone/Yellowstone S05E04 Horses in Heaven 2022-11-27-2000.mpg": ss=93%-94% snq=100% seq=99%,0%-100% bps=3974555,0-4277376 pps=340,0-366

Got it. Thanks.

There was some error in the incoming stream, and this probably accounted for your stutter.

so one thing I am unclear on.. Does the signal quality fluctuating between 0-100 indicate a network delivery problem from the HDHR to the Channels Server OR does it indicate a signal/antenna issue between the Antenna and the HDHR? Or could it be either? I'm basically trying to figure what log entries would prove either scenario.

Those are my stats I was showing as an example. That recording was perfect.
In fact I think my dead horse went to heaven :grin:

I just hooked up the splitter to the antenna output and then to the HDHR. I just started a three hour recording on it. Out of curiosity I accessed the tuner status web page for the HDHR. It's showing signal strength of 100%. Does that suggest that the signal needs even more attenuation? If I get the 100% ss down to the 90s, won't that make some of my weaker signals unusable?

There's nothing wrong with 100%. The problem is it doesn't report anything greater than 100%. So if your overloading at 110% that is where you can get picture cutout issues. You are correct. If another tower was at a lower strength then adding a splitter will make that go down as well. Honestly if you are consistently above 80 you shouldn't have an issue. High 80s to mid 90s is pretty much the target. Honestly if you really want to find out if you have a hot signal. The folks over at SiliconDust can get that information from your tuner if you send them diagnostic information and your device ID.

Just checking that the Orbi is the only one. If you have more than one Orbi, are they hard wired together via ethernet?

If you are using a WiFi backbone, can you set the Orbi to a fixed channel rather than Auto?

I have one Orbi that talks to two others in the house. As I recall, it's a pseudo-mesh setup as it's an older model Orbi. The ATV and Shield TV are hard wired to the main Orbi. I'm not sure it would make a difference setting the Orbi to a fixed channel since the ATV and Shield are not on WiFi.

I agree, it's not a WiFi issue

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.