Disable Delete for Local Content

Can you make it so that media imported through the local content directories is not Deletable? I have an extensive library of movies I have collected and do not want them to be deleted.

1 Like

I thought you could not delete imported files ... if you delete one it only removes it from the view but not the actual media ... it will show up again on next scan,

1 Like

Thanks. I missed that.

This is just temporary while testing.

Version 4.0, in beta now, allows you to turn off deletion. This removes the option of putting things in the trash.

1 Like

Thanks.

I can't seem to find the option to turn off deletion of Local Content. Can you please point me in the right direction?

I believe the option is all-or-nothing for all content. So you can disable the Delete/Trash button in the clients, but it does so for all content, imported and recorded alike.

Supporting local content is still a new and un-finished feature.

I had to remove imported content ... because it is either all or nothing.

Thanks @racameron and @Edwin_Perez. I did see the global option after I posted the question. Good point that it is still a beta feature. Fingers crossed that the devs add a separate disable-delete just for local content. To me, my local content is my "real" stuff that I don't want to lose, while DVR recordings are really just kept until after they are watched.

1 Like

Starting with v2021.02.24.2307, imported videos which have been sent to Trash will be deleted off of the disk when the Trash is cleaned out. This fixes the issue where deleting an imported video would make it reappear after a few days (when it got scanned in again).

1 Like

Will that be opt-in or can it be disabled?

If not, I'll be moving all mine to read-only mounts until there's a way to disable it.

Going to be some upset users who for over a year knew their imports were safe.
Now it changes and unless they frequent the forum, they'll find out the hard way.

2 Likes

If it affects Playon Cloud being able to be deleted I will also disable Playon Cloud. This is just not a good Idea to have global deletion.

1 Like

All content is treated the same way.

One option we are considering is a separate trash setting for imported content. So instead of deleting after 1 day, you could tell imports to delete after 15 days or to stay in trash forever.

But if you don't trust your family then I don't know if that helps you. Because they can still go into Trash and click empty.

2 Likes

Since imports were introduced, users have been asking for the ability to physically delete imported files. Now that Channels supports this, users are asking for the functionality to be removed.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Also, the local content is clearly marked as a Beta feature, meaning it's not stable and subject to changes.

1 Like

I never asked for this ... but I guess those that scream the loudest are heard. This is just a bad Idea period as far as I am concerned and will turn off users that value their collections. I am just going to remove playon cloud and look for other options for my collections.

I'm working around the fact they won't allow me to disable it by giving Channels remote read-only mounts to my imported local content because I don't want Channels deleting it. I made my opinion known long ago about this. Can't please everyone and can't comprimise.

I like having the ability and global setting to turn it off or on.

This is how some other systems work too.

1 Like

@tmm1 I agree that the ability to delete local content was needed, so kudos for adding that! But I also think for many users local content is a different animal from DVR recordings.

Example: I WANT to be able to delete the episode of The Today Show that I recorded this morning, but I DON'T want to delete my imported Friends series.

I think the thing that is still missing here is the ability to lock all imported content so that it cannot be deleted through the UI.

3 Likes

I completely agree. As much as I like this line of development, if everyone in the household has the ability to delete (accidentally or otherwise) then I won’t risk 15+ years of rips.

2 Likes

From my perspective, a DVR contains inherently short-lived content. From a day or maybe a few months of life. Long term storage and archives are a great use case for Emby. My Emby server is packed with full seasons of tv shows (The Office, Friends, Modern Family) and hundreds of movies. But I would never think the DVR is the place to store and mange that much content.

If I record a series on Channels DVR but I want to keep it, I place the series in Emby. I just see two different tools based on how long the content is going to hang around.

3 Likes