Disabled Channels - not being passed to clients

I guess this is a feature request. When I install Channels DVR on a new client and connect it to the server, is there a way that I can force the client to match the enabled/disabled channels that are currently set on the server by default? It seems to honor this request with some channels, but not others.

I don't understand the current logic that the client will, by default, match enabled/disabled channels on the server for my HDHR OTA tuner, yet not do it with other sources, like local TVE.

I'm sure one of the devs will confirm, but I remember reading that they gave up channel syncing between server/clients since they introduced channel collections which should be used instead.

That seems like a strange technique. The software doesn't seem to function as expected by default, but for those few that want to use channel collections, it can work. I don't use channel collections, so now I have to manually sync channels between clients and servers?

Its works fine and is kinda simple process.
Set the fav or disabled channels in the server, then in the client app, use the Import option under sources.
Also, when client apps first initialize after install, they import the settings from the server.
I have not had any issues with adjusting favs or disabling channels, then doing this process of import on my clients. Nvidia Shields and a Apple TV 4k.

The way it is now it can cause tuners sharing problems when using multiple devices .. There is no rhyme or reason in what order the tuners are discovered each client can be different.

If you have tuner sharing enabled and you have connect 1 & 2 .. if 1 client has connect 1 as the first device and another client has connect 2 as the first device 2 tuners will be used if watching the same channel even if tuner sharing is on.

Example tuner sharing on .... So i have to make sure all clients have the same tuner order.

2021/12/18 16:39:12.047391 [TNR] Opened connection to 107829D3/2 for ch6.1 KOIN-HD
2021/12/18 16:39:33.445350 [TNR] Opened connection to 1080ACCC/2 for ch6.1 KOIN-HD

The behavior is different depending on what client you are using. As someone already mentioned, there is a sync option for Android clients. For iOS/tvos, the favorites are synced, only on the very first launch of the app. If you get the favorites set as you want on the server and delete and reinstall the app on the clients, it should pull them.

I have nothing but android clients and on initial setup I have to adjust the tuners at the client manually. I have reported this sharing bug many times. So there is no sync for tuner priority at all from the server. This is ok if you only have 1 device but with multiple devices it does not function correctly. If tuner sharing is enabled at the server then all the clients should get the device priority from the server.

Yes the source order does not sync I don’t believe but the OP was specifically asking about favorites I believe, which does sync as I described, I think.

That's by design. I know you reported a tuner sharing bug though.
It's designed so each client can choose their own favorite channels and tuner priority.
The favorites and tuner priority on the server are separate and used for scheduling recordings.
Pretty sure that even when using channel collections from the server side setting each client can still select their favorites per the Protips at the end of this article Channels Support - Channel Collections

Not my experience. There is a Refresh Source option in settings in the Apple TVOS app.
Though, i do not even need to use it.

I just noticed that Newsy showed up as a channel, not fav, not disabled, do not want it. i went into server, disabled it.

On the Apple Tv, close the app fully, then re open it.
(When at home app screen, double press home button to show open apps, scroll to the app, double tap up, sometimes takes a few tries, the app slides up and is gone.)
Re-open the Channels app, and it has synced. Newsy gone from the source list.

Similar process can be done on Android TV systems, force close/stop the app, and re-open triggers a refresh. (at least it used to, has been a bit since i have done that)

EDIT: there is a Clients tab in the server, that allows one to customize/override certain settings for that client only. I wish they would add tuner priority setting to that.

Yep hope they fix it. Anytime they clear data on clients it messes up the sharing.

Noted and corrected :grinning:

1 Like

I know that's been discussed before.
Some people like putting the lower resolution/bitrate/audio channel source as lower priority at the server for recordings and reverse it on the clients. i.e. client watches from TVE, server records from HDHR tuners.

yes.so what? That would not change.

( i had that kind of setup before, where Locast would be the server record source, and the HDHR would be the client source live feed.)

The Client specific settings override section is independent thing, so the user could set that client to use the server side order, or its own a different independent order that u set in that profile override....that is the point of using a Client specific override controls.

Give the user the choice, leave it default, or, set custom settings for each client via the Admin interface, and not have to go to each physical client and mess with it. Some settings are in place already.

1 Like

I'm wondering if channel collections would solve the OP's issue.

If I create a channel collection, I don't think it's dynamic, just the channel numbers I put in it.
If I disable a channel at the server or it becomes unavailable, what happens to it in the collection.
If a channel gets re-enabled or added (think new Pluto or HDHR channel), what happens to it in the collection.
Would we constantly have to be maintaining the channels collections?