Trying to create a channels collection for Favorites which sync to all clients

I am simply trying to create a favorites list that works across all my devices: iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, and Android TV sticks. After endless searches, it seems that the favorites list is specific to the client and only Android has the capability of importing or exporting favorites. The suggested workaround is to create a Channel Collection. This would work in theory, but has it's own issues.

First off, once you create collection of channels, it doesn't show up on clients until you fool around in the server settings to "override" the client settings. This process is convoluted, why can't it just be available to all clients by default, or have the option to assign it to clients within the collection settings? Once you finally configure the override settings, the moment you assign one collection, the defaults are deleted!

Before:

After:

In the above example, I created "test" but lost almost most, but not all of the others. It's possible to re-create some of the default collections such as TV Shows, Movies, and Sports since those are defined content types, but there is no easy way to make ones for Kids, News, Drama, or SD Channels.
Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 4.54.34 PM

If I create a collection called "Favorites" it seems to conflict with the default Favorites as now both show up and when selecting either, both get highlighted. The only work around would be to call it something like "My Favorites" but then the default one is still there which is confusing, especially for guests.

Am I overlooking something obvious or is this experience expected?

1 Like

By the way, here are all the threads I've found (there are probably even more) from other people asking how/requesting the ability to simply sync their favorites. Why can't this be implemented? Channel Collections are not the solution!

Favorites / Hidden not syncing
Favorites sync across apps
Fire Stick: Favorites Set on All Devices
Favorites Sync
Channels Not Saving Favorites
Favorite channels do not update from system to Apple TV app
Possible bug in Fire Stick Favorites list
Sync favorites across all clients
Sync Favorites
TVE Favorites Don't Show up on Apple TV, Are Present Elsewhere
Fire Stick: Favorites Set on All Devices
How to Push Guide Changes to all clients
New favorites not showing up
Multiple AppleTV's - syncing settings
Store settings in the cloud
Disabled Channels - not being passed to clients

1 Like

You can get rid of the default favorites by disabling it in the client(s) or force disable from server side.

1 Like

Here is a good thread on use cases for channel collections.

Channel collections are managed for the clients through the web UI and have to be added manually because you may not want a specific collection on all of your clients.

The default channel collections can also be added or removed under client side settings. If you are creating a master favorites list the I would suggest removing the default favorites list per client. I would also recommend cleaning up the collections list. For me that meant removing everything and creating my own “all channels list” as well as other generes collections like “game shows” or “live sports”. As an aside if you choose to make a personalized “all channels” collection you have the added benefit of reordering channels to a list you may prefer. I reordered my all channel collection to match my cable provider.

Yes, they are. They can handle everything the original default collections handle, and more.

I agree it's a convulated mess.

A channel collection is a bad solution because I like to add/remove favorite channels from time to time from the front end. The Android sync is useless because it doesn't remember the order of the channels for the On Now.

Channels sometimes devolves into complicatesld and unintuitive solutions for simple issues.

2 Likes