Dolby 5.1

So, you're fine upconverting 2.0 to 5.1 if the original source was 5.1, even though it was only ever delivered to you as 2.0?

As long as it makes sense to you, go for it. Personally, I don't understand how 5.1 -> 2.0 -> 5.1 is OK while 2.0 -> 5.1 is not, but as long as it works for you ...

If a show was originally recorded in 5.1 Iā€™ll listen to it that way. But if itā€™s something like an old show from the 80s, I donā€™t want the receiver trying to make it 5.1.

Why not?

1 Like

Iā€™m having a similar issue. Just got a new LG G3 OLED, partly to try to sort out surround issues and it has sorted them out in some circumstances.

My old Samsung (10 years old) simply would not send DD 5.1 to my Sonos from any source via ARC.

The new LG will, for example Netflix, Disney or even when watching live TV from the built in digital tv tuner.

That also works when watching Netflix etc via my AppleTV. It will send the Dolby Digital signal via HDMI to the TV which happily sends that via eARC to the Sonos. I get Dolby Digital happily.

I get Dolby Digital 2 when watching live TV from the built in tuner via eARC to the Sonos.

What I donā€™t get is surround sound from live tv on Channels when watching on my AppleTV. I just get stereo.

Iā€™m a bit puzzled. I can switch between the same show. Watch it on channels, get stereo, watch it on the built in tuner and get DD 2.

Iā€™ve tried changing numerous settings. It seems to me like something about the combination of HDHomerun, channels and my AppleTV isnā€™t working.

Iā€™ve done the surround sound test and it works fine. And Iā€™ve played a recorded film thatā€™s in 5.1 and it also plays to the Sonos as Dolby Digital 5.1.

So it seems that processing of the audio channel that Channels isnā€™t doing with the live tv here (Freeview, UK) that my LG TV is doing.

See here: Problems with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound on Freeview HD ā€“ the facts | What Hi-Fi?

That would possibly explain why there are people with similar set ups having very different experiences.