DRM Protected ATSC 3.0 Channels

Nobody said otherwise.

I would gladly participate in a fundraising, a "Go Fund Me" type of thing
to have CDVR get a DRM license, rights, or whatever.
So I can have my channels back THAT I PAY FOR!!!

2 Likes

Ditto. I'd contribute as well.

1 Like

Unless something has changed in the pricing since 2016...

2 Likes

I would take what NickK says with a grain of salt. Unless the certification process has or will change it’ll take millions of dollars to certify for DRM. If you think Fancy Bits can afford to do that I hope you are right.

2 Likes

This is not the same as Cable Labs DRM Certification.... So might be a lot easier and cheaper.

1 Like

If you haven't already, sign lov.tv's petition:
Petition · Save Free TV! Tell the FCC to END DRM Encryption of ATSC 3​.​0 Broadcasts · Change.org

Then go over the FCC and submit a comment, instructions here:

Think it wont make a difference? take a look at the leaderboard below, it is #1 on the list of comments submitted. I just submitted mine a few minutes ago

2 Likes

I enjoy the lively discussions. While ATSC 3.0 is the new kid on the block, I remember the agony of the original digital transition. Nothing every ran on time and, maybe, budget. Will the FCC fix it? Unlikely.

If the ATSC 1.0 signals end, millions of TVs will end up as junk as happened during the original transition. Converter boxes, never in my lifetime will I try that trick again. The general public might then wake up when the back bedroom TV and rabbit ears no longer work.

In Denver OTA, one ATSC 3.0 channel now shows DRM on my HDHR 4K tuner. Never received a signal above 720p on that channel. Now it is X'ed out.

The bigger question is will OTA TV survive? If not, then recording and commercial detection for me is gone. I will miss Channels DVR.

Keep up the chatter, I do enjoy the community spirit.

2 Likes

You think Silicon Dust can afford millions of dollars to certify? LOL.

It's a completely different certification process with a completey different organization.

Now that they are peddling their hardware under a different name it’s a possibility.

3 Likes

There were quite a few inaccuracies/exaggerations in that video related to DRM technical details mentioned in the tech hive article. I'm sure he got comments about those.

1 Like

Such as?

See nothing in the comments.

1 Like

Looks like SiliconDust has announced its DRM compatibility in partnership with FreeCast. Im guessing this wont help channels?

https://cordcuttersnews.com/hdhomerun-adds-drm-support-to-its-ota-atsc-3-0-nextgen-tv-box-in-partnership-with-freecast/

[HDHomeRun 4K is Nextgen TV Certified - Silicondust] HDHomeRun 4K is Nextgen TV Certified - Silicondust

Why wouldn't it help Channels?
I did see somewhere that 3rd party apps would not inherit the DRM capability, is that it??

1 Like

That article is wrong, per Nick over at Silicon Dust:

Re: Encryption

Post by nickk » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:49 pm

The Cord Cutters News article is incorrect - we have NOT released DRM support as of yet - it is still in the works.

Nick

3 Likes

:man_facepalming:

Thanks for the correction

2 Likes