DVR server not working after Shield 9.0.0 update

9.0.1 was released today, but doesn't include the storage fix.

I'm hearing that will be included in 9.0.1+ hotfix2

1 Like

Do you know if you have to signup for the hotfix program again after 9.0.1 was released?

Yes I believe so

It looks like NVIDIA claims this was fixed in Hotfix 1 which is out now. Just got it installed and will see how it goes.

1 Like

What joy have you found with 9.0.1 + hot fix 1?

Yes, I'm curious where this is at right now, is it safe to update the Shield or will it still screw up the operation of the Channels DVR?

I got it to wrk with the newest nVidia release plus the hot fix. Still having minor problems but i can watch and record.

1 Like

Just want to give a shout out to channels, I have 2 shields a 2019 pro and the original 2015 model, I had not updated the 2015 model because that is where I had channels dvr running, well thought everything was okay now and did the update, needless to say afterwards I could not connect or even find the dvr, had to reinstall and then it had lost all my recordings, thought I was going to have to set everything up from scratch, then started looking at the information on doing restore from backup, ran the restore from last night backup and in less than a couple of minutes my server was back as it was. No doubt the best restore experience I have ever had. Everything is working fine.

1 Like

If I can’t access my DVR server at all in order to move it what’s my next course of action? I want to move it to my new NAS but it says it can’t connect to the server in the browser at all so I can’t take a backup.

1 Like

What does the DVR server app on the SHIELD show?

Did you try launching the client app and selecting Help at the top right then Install DVR Server

1 Like

Have never seen that help button before!! That did the trick, I selected upgrade server and it’s sprung into life - thank you!

Hello all. So, from reading on some Shield threads in AVS Forum, if you are currently on 9.0.1 and sign up for the hot fixes you will be upgraded to 9.0.2. They just haven't released 9.0.2 as a general upgrade yet.

So the big question: Is it soup yet? If your Shield is on 9.0.2 can you run the Channels DVR server on the Shield, with non-adopted USB storage formatted as exFAT or NTFS without it crashing multiple times per day. Is it stable -- or -- are we still waiting on nVidia?

As a side note, major kudos to the developers on how amazingly easy you have made it to transfer the server between platforms. When this mess started it took me only 10 min to transfer the server off the Shield onto my Win-10 Media Server. I mess with my server a lot so I transfer the server to my Win-10 Desktop when I'm playing and then back to the Media Server when I'm done. I'm down to 5min tops to do a transfer between platforms -- and it always works immediately after I restore the backup. I just finished converting my Media Server to Linux (Ubuntu) and I personally find the Linux install procedure to be even easier than the Win-10 one. And of course, transfer of the DVR server from Win-10 to Linux was flawless.

1 Like

Latest hotfix resolves all the disk issues AFAIK

Nvidia says it will be released as 9.0.2 stable within the next month.

Thank you for the response. I don't want to mess with hot fixes so I'll wait for the stable release of 9.0.2. Then the server goes back on the Shield -- hopefully for good.

Can someone summarize where we are at with versions? I'm trying to follow along. My system was suprisingly good and stable for months until about 6 weeks ago. I think a reboot fixed it. Then it crapped out again 2 weeks ago or so. I determined I was still on version 8.XXX and I thought I read something got fixed. So I upgraded to 9 a few days ago, and it didn't work at all. Per a recent comment, I did the Upgrade Server and it still didn't work, but for whatever reason, I had to re-enable permissions on the attached storage which should have been unchanged. Then it started working, and it worked for less than 5 minutes.

I'm tired of chasing down information, someone tell me what the hotfix is all about and how to get it. I'm guessing it is something non trivial that I'm going to be stuck for a while.

See https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/485445/shield-experience-upgrade-901-hotfix-image/

Is a manual beta upgrade still needed for Channels DVR Server or is the current Google Play version the latest and greatest?

Channels DVR Server is no longer being distributed via Google Play

To install it:

1. install Channels Whole Home DVR app from Google Play (i.e. the client app)
  2. click Help > Install/Upgrade Channels DVR Server

Apparently, a third hotfix has been released for Shield 9.0.1

• Resolves issue pairing Dual Shock 3, XBOX, and Switch controllers
  • Resolves bug where video colors would be displayed incorrect when HW acceleration is enabled
  • Fixes bug affecting streaming to twitch
  • Adds helpful notifications when connecting or formatting removable storage
  • Fixes bug where system would hang when access home screen after matching frame rate in Kodi
  • Fixes bug where surround upmixer would stop working after playing Dolby audio streams
  • Adds Plex support for latest Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD DVB-T tuner (EU only)
  • Fixes bug where AI upscaling could not be changed in Netflix app
  • Resolves issue where Documents UI cannot access external storage folders
  • Resolves issue where SD card notification would be displayed when launching apps
  • Resolves issue when capturing screenshots in GeForce NOW using NVIDIA Share
  • Resolves crash issue with Google Play Games on 2015/2017 SHIELDs.
  • Resolves localization issue with Canadian Language selection of energy start timers
  • Resolves audio issues when connecting headset to 2015 SHIELD Controller

Does not appear that any of these issues would have bearing on Channels DVR, but it does mean that they are continuing to fix bugs.

Yeah, but most likely they will have Google certify this hot fix and then publish it as 9.0.2 public, then do another hot fix set to work on remaining and sporadic bugs. The majority of the major issues, being the external storage locking up on read writes (for us as DVR users), Dolby issues, and mesh WiFi issues, are fixed with this last hot fix, so those can be pushed to production release and people can feel more comfortable updating.

This has been how they do it, even before 9.0 (the 8.1.x and 8.2.x updates had hot fixes). Not all bugs will be fixed on a 0.0.x release.