DVR server not working after Shield 9.0.0 update

For a temp fix, try selecting the internal storage, then add your previous DVRs path as a second path with the + sign and see if your recordings show and play.

Yes, that worked. Very strange that I was able to add the external storage after adding the internal storage! But now my scheduled recording will go to the internal storage first correct? I have the Shield Pro with only 16gb internal storage (and only 2 gb left). So that will eat up my internal storage rather quickly. I tried deleting the internal storage as a DVR recording location, but it seems I can only delete the last added location (external storage). Or is there another way to delete the first storage location?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Correct, it will be recording to the internal storage now. It's just cobbled together to get some useability until Nvidia hones up and fixes it.

You're going to have to restore a backup once the issue is fixed to go back to the way you had it.

Are you using the 16gb internal or an adopted storage still considered as internal?

Previously I was not using the internal as storage. The external storage was not considered internal as far as I recall.

1 Like

With the SHIELD Pro there is the 16gb internal storage, you can hook up an external drive and format it as adopted storage where the system recognizes it as a form of internal storage also, and you can add a second drive with a hub to be an external drive.

I'm not sure which drive you are using because I don't know your physical setup / equipment / # of drives / how they're formatted, etc.

You can go into your SHIELDs storage settings and see your drive configuration.

I'm not a power user with an NAS drive and not usually great on these things and this fix worked for me in five minutes. 2019 Nvidia Shield TV Pro with 2TB external drive (as adoptable storage). I deleted DVR server and channels. Reinstalled channels went to the support section of channels and installed DVR Beta version, allowed unknown apps and had to type in the ip address.

I checked settings by logging into the address on my laptop and made sure everything was up to date. (That's not the entire instructions follow the ones they've posted) No issues with external storage that I can tell. Will watch the next few days and need it to be working for the playoffs.

Thanks for this guys, I can't tell you how much I like this setup as a former Tivo user. With the ability to pull in recordings from PlayOn Cloud it is an incredible setup. I will eventually put in the time to get Pluto in the custom setup but I think my Nvidia shield with server can't run that simply.

Thanks again

Mark

1 Like

The computer can't even access it properly. The internal. But it will browse, and deleted a file from the external. Weird issue. Some stuff will access the external but not the internal, and other stuff will access the internal but not the external.

Our voice is more powerful in numbers, that's when it gets louder. Head on over to the GeForce forums to post any concerns.

I already did.

Sideload instructions here worked for me.
Went to DVR server after installing and there it asked for file access, playback from my external usb is working no problem. Not sure why, just a samsung usb drive like everyone else.

In browser it says Server version 2021.10.25.1801 which looks like a datestamp. Odd but it's working so I'll take it :slight_smile:

You're using your external as adopted storage (i.e. your DVR location is set to /storage/emulated/0/).

What's broken is external/removable storage mode. Still waiting for an update from Nvidia, but its pretty clear at this point its a bug in their OS.

3 Likes

Thanks for the help with this issue! I am sure you guys have been in touch with Nvidia, have they given any estimates on when a fix is coming?

1 Like

I have Two (2) Drives attached to the Shield. One is storage and has my movie collection, the other is formatted as adaptive storage so is seen as internal storage by the shield. I assume that I am fine... all seems fine right now

There is a hotfix on Nivdia's forum which I signed up for.

Be careful because the hotfix does not fix the storage issue, and also breaks many other apps. You can read through the list of caveats on the hotfix sign up page.

Ok,I missed that...how do I stop it from installing?

It says that it fixes the issue where it's not accessible from a Windows PC... that's why I signed up for it.

I was curious why I couldn't connect to the DVR Server after the upgrade. I ran a LanScan and checked the open ports on the Shield. Port 8089 was not listed. After installing the server on my MacBook Pro as a workaround, I scanned it and port 8089 was indeed listed as open. What network API changes were included with this upgrade? I am able to connect to both internal and external storage on the shield using Mac Finder although file access is greatly limited.

Aman, the main reason that I am using the shield as the server is because when I had it on my PC, commercial detection was making my CPU run hot when it was running and while other shows are recording at the same time. It got so hot one time that shut down. So my question is this...will the new way of detecting commercials solve that issue? I noticed that it is much faster and as you said doesn't use much resources. If so, I may just move the server back to the PC.

The new com detection only works on certain TVE channels that support it.
So, it depends on what channels you most often record that you run com detect on if you see a significant reduction in your load issues.

However, you PC has other more serious issues if it overheats and shuts down from that load.
either you need to get a better cpu cooler, or re-do the thermal compound on the cpu...etc. enhance its cooling somehow, add a fan or something. (assuming it is a normal computer case, and not a min or micro pc. Although, I have maxed out some Intel NUC's and been run for days in hot environment and never shut down)

1 Like