DVR server not working after Shield 9.0.0 update

Is it recommended to run the Channels DVR beta as well during this time, or just stay up to date with pre-release server versions?

I’m also having a problem with the server hanging up the system. I upgraded with 2 hot fixes, server works for awhile but then video won’t play. Try to go to storage from settings but hangs after I press it. Once I exit I then cannot get back into settings. Sent feedback to Nvidia. Also tried to get log from [/logs/android] but just get 404 not found. I’m on 01.22.0137

Nvidia is still looking for more feedback submitted by users who have installed hotfix2 and still having issues.

Running hotfix2, and full reset before installing it.
Still having issues as well. The black screen, back out, go back in issue, and the server unresponsive requiring a reboot but I think it's worth mentioning that when that happens, the ota hdhr channels continue to work, it's the tve channels that break. Spinning circle when trying to load the interface. I'll get whatever y'all need or try to anyways, been busy with work, and just been dealing with it.

Please run adb bugreport once it gets stuck and send me the zip file it creates

1 Like

My device now gets hung to the point that I have to power cycle the shield. Any word on how far we are from getting a more solid fix?

I attached a new HDD to my shield today and got the same issue. Only way to fix was reboot. Home Screen on the device wouldn't load and was all black. The task switcher still worked.

Since then I've been trying to make it happen again with debug attached, but it hasn't yet.

Manually sleep your SHIELD, it should accelerate the crash.

Decided to test my shield again. Reset to factory and installed shield hot fix. Reloaded the Channels server with the latest pre-release. Everything was working normally with the external storage. Started 3 channels recording and then tried various live channels on the web browser forcing the transcoder to be used. It was struggling to keep up. After a few minutes, it locked up completely. The shield's external storage system was no longer working. Had to reboot the shield to recover. Noticed in the log file that I had many buffer warnings right before the failure. I do not know how to run the debug system, and I probably do not want to learn. I have moved my channels server to a Beelink U59 windows machine and it seems to work just fine. I am hooked on the Channels software now.

So it seems the behavior only occurs when the external storage is used as the DVR, not the internal.

1 Like

Seems like it as I have an external storage as well and experience the exact same issue.

I had my shield lock up and when I restarted, channels and plex were gone from the apps. I went to try to redownload channels and it said I didn't have room to install it. I checked storage it said the hd was safely removed. I unplugged then replugged the hd then did a reboot and everything came back. This is the second time this week this has happened but was able to get to work again.

I’m not sure why but after putting server version 2022.01.25.0145 on my shield it’s actually stayed up for two days now where previously it was crashing several times a day. Was something significant changed with this update? Things have been so dicey lately I haven’t checked for a new pre-release :stuck_out_tongue:

Update: must have jinxed it - the server was unresponsive again this AM :(. What a mess!

Thanks for the heads up on the update. I just installed it and hoping for the best!

Boi o boi, nvidia really does know how to put out broken software..SO many issues this page keeps track of.

So where are we with this then? I see that Plex was able to be fixed as that’s now working so what’s the delay with Channels?
Beginning to think that going back to a set-top box like a Humax might be for the best, Nvidia can’t seem to release a piece of software without breaking everything each time and life’s too short.

Same boat as GMan, NVIDIA probably isn't in a big hurry to push out another Hotfix if Plex (which must have a far wider user base) is working again. I've been on Hotfix 2 and DVR Server pre-release 2022.01.25.0145 since it came out 3 days ago. It's strange, as someone else mentioned above it worked pretty well for a day or two, and then tonight it consistently crashed needing a reboot within 5 minutes six times in a row. All I did each time was tune in a PlutoTV channel, nothing else recording. If there's no fix on the near horizon, I'm going to look into moving DVR Server off my Shield as that seems to be the best workaround.

You might want to consider reverting to Shield version 8.2.3. It's an exercise not for the faint hearted but after doing it I eliminated all the problems with the v9 upgrade.

Hotfix3 does not address this issue unfortunately. The reports that Plex is fixed are incorrect. Other Plex issues were addressed, but using removable storage still causes random hang ups.

Hotfix 3 dialog