DVR server on windows

I’ve been working on a windows version of the DVR server for the past few weeks. It’s about 85% done and I’m looking for some guinea pigs to try things out. Any volunteers?

64-bit version of windows is required. Win10 preferred although win8 and win7 should work too.

EDIT: The installer is now available.

https://channels-dvr.s3.amazonaws.com/InstallChannelsDVR.exe

If you had installed the DVR on windows before v2017.01.08, your installation will be broken until you follow these steps:

1. Stop the DVR
  • Right click on the DVR icon in your system tray (bottom right), and click exit.
  • OR, open Task Manager find Channels DVR and click End Task
  1. Delete the old InstallChannelsDVR.exe from your Downloads folder
  • make sure you don’t run the old installer again, since it will not do anything.
  1. Download and run the new installer
3 Likes

Windows 10 here. I wouldn’t mind trying it. Currently using virtual box/Linux.

I can test it out latest win10-64bit

I could test it out on Win 7 64-bit

You already know I’m in! Windows 10 64bit. I have no idea if it matters, but I have a low performance A10 AMD CPU and an i7 4790k. Both PC’s are capable of running a channels DVR server. Only if you need it tested on different CPUs.
Thanks!

I have a Windows Home Server 2011 box or 2 Windows 10 machines that I could test it out on for you.

Newby here, been lurking for the past week. I’d be extremely interested in a Windows 10 build! That would keep me from having to buy new hardware. Still using WMC with my HDHR’s and XBOX 360’s. Been using channels on our ATV’s for awhile but I really need to find a new DVR option since WMC is ancient.

I have plenty of Windows devices. i could start with 10 and try 7 too.

I am curious, i bought a MyCloud PR4100 on the recommendation that it would be able to use hardware transcoding for streaming live and recorder TV over the internet. MyCloud works great locally with my 3 Apple TVs however currently I am using AirVideo HD to stream my Channels DVR recordings from my Windows 10 PC to web clients and it works great, 720p no pixelation or stalls, vibrant color and even loads in about 2 seconds. Even though the recordings reside on my MyCloud and were recorded there the online stream in Channels keeps failing when using MyCloud even from local network (local ip address). My question is would I get better transcoding in Channels from my Windows 10 (i7 2600 quad core) pc than from the NAS? I really want to be able to stream my live TV as well as my recorded TV over the net. Does AirVideo HD server use different processes to stream?

I can test. I am running WIn 10. What files files would I need to move from current DVR to keep my recordings and schedule?

I’m running Windows 8.1 Pro and would like to Beta test as well.

The windows server is completely untested, so I don’t recommend moving anything over to it yet. First step is to setup a separate test instance and make sure it works at all.

Hard to say given that no one has tested anything on windows yet. The 85% that’s implemented so far does not include hardware transcoding yet.

Are you running the AirVideo server on your NAS or on the computer?

windows 10 willing to try things out, thanks!

I can also test it out, Windows 10 64bit, but what happens if two servers are running in the same LAN? Will the apps let you choose? And will remote access be enabled in the windows build?

No, the app will not let you choose. If both are running, it will randomly pick one and probably keep randomly switching between them too.

You will need to make sure the Bonjour option is only enabled on one server at a time.

I made a ton of progress today, and the windows version is now 98% there. Almost everything works just like on linux and mac. A few known issues left:

• hardware transcoding implemented but untested
  • comskip implemented but untested
  • remote access implemented but untested

I will send out a link with some instructions over PM tomorrow to folks who volunteered here.

2 Likes

This is awesome! Can’t wait!

I’ll test if needed. Win 7, Win 10 and Win Server 2012. All 64 bit. Using HDHomerun Dual and Prime.

I would love to test it out. Windows 10 64-bit
Intel HD Graphics 5500
Driver Version 20.19.15.4463

How many folks here have their windows computer set to auto login after reboot?