DVR Service on Windows

Hi-

New user here. I have Channels DVR running on a Windows 10 box. I noticed today it was offline. I logged into the PC via remote desktop, and then it was back. It appears that Windows Update was still active (in spite of my attempts to disable it), so the reboot / stuck DVR may have been a result of that. I tried again to disable the Update service, so we'll see if that sticks. I rebooted manually and the DVR came back (without me logging in).

While I was in the Services app I was looking for a "Channels DVR" service, but I didn't see one. I tried the "SetupChannelsDVR.exe" link in this post:

and it appears that it's running as a service.

Should I be concerned that I don't see a "Channels DVR" listed in the Windows Services app? Seems like it would be handy to be able to confirm it's running, restart if needed, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you should see it as “Channels DVR Engine” in services. Since you can only get the service during install, sounds like a reinstall. Watch the options.

It will then be running properly after updates. This is how mine is configured as well.

1 Like

Will a re-install blow away my recordings / passes / config? Or should that all get preserved?

If you follow these steps you won't lose anything.

Follow the steps here, but replace the Migrate your data step with the uninstall here

I use a tool called NSSM to run the channels DVR as a service. My Channels DVR is running on Server Essentials so I used this to make sure reboots wouldn't require logging in to enable the DVR. It comes up automatically at any reboot.