DVR State of the Union - December 2016

Maybe on the new Linux subsystem in Win10? It would be worth the lolz to try.

Ok will there be a Windows version in the future?

Depends on the interest and feasibility. We don’t have a lot of experience with windows development, and it seems running other solutions on windows is quite cumbersome (firewall exceptions, loopback drivers, etc).

At the moment we rely on a lot of Unix features to make the DVR work. It should be possible to run the DVR server in a linux container on windows 10, but no one has tried that yet. We hope to document how to do that during the beta period.

Okay I was hoping to run this DVR on the same setup as my Plex DVR but I may have to have a different setup if windows is not supported

I am a user of the Channels apps and must say it is the best app ever - PERIOD. I returned all my FIOS STBs and use my Apple TV (3 total) with the Channels app and don’t think ever going back to these high priced cable STBs. What you guys have done is amazing and have saved me a lot. Thank you.

I do have a question… I have an Intel NUC 6I5SYH and am hoping on using it when Channels DVR is released, so my question, is this device supported? and if so, what Linux version do you recommend?

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Intel NUC

Thank you! looking forward to trying this out.

can’t wait for the beta! when will it drop? also, any discussion about other pricing structure you may offer? i would surely sign up for 1 year subscription with reduced cost. once i get this working, i will return my fios DVR! :slight_smile:

What is the least expensive NAS that will work with the Channels DVR? What are/will some other users be using?

1 Like

I installed this on a virtual machine running Fedora 25 and this thing is running flawlessly. I used Virtual box on Win 10.

2 Likes

New here, so forgive me, loving Channels, but do I need to bring my own server to use Channels DVR or is it just an add-on to my existing Channels app on tvOS?

I’d prefer just to click a button, pay and get DVR capability added to my existing Channels app. Simple. Done.

Also, hoping the next Channels update allows the video to stay in the background while navigating menus (all of them). PSVue and DTVNow do this well.

Yes you need an always-on computer or NAS to make and store the recordings. tvOS does not support external storage, and apps cannot run in the background.

Will you be able to set recordings up from the server or do you have to do that on the ATV?

There is a web interface (so from the server or any browser) and can be accessed remotely (over the internet if one so wishes) as well as through channels on the ATV.

1 Like

Awesome! Can’t wait to get it setup & going!

It’s the new year! You know… moments after midnight on Sunday morning (yes, I stayed up to watch 2016 die… I would have bludgeoned it to death if I could have) my mind drifted toward my excitement that Channels has promised to bring us a Public Beta! Where should I look for news about the Public Beta when it’s released? I cannot wait to give you my money!

Does anyone have any insight into whether this NAS will work? I can't find the specs.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-External-Storage-STDT5000100/dp/B00J0O5R2I

I don’t think that is a NAS. it connects directly to PC by USB not network

Thanks. Would people be willing to share what they plan to use?

I’ve been waiting for more information on what NAS to get too.

I currently use a “dumb” NAS and I got one from the SD Kickstarter which is still in the box. since SD is so far behind and the NAS is too under-powered for Channels DVR it looks like it going to become a doorstop.

I don’t want to get something that just meets the minimum requirements and needs to be upgraded when a new version comes out and I don’t want to over buy.