DVR State of the Union - July 2016

Totally. Cheap solutions are totally the plan. Though running it on beefier hardware will get you different features.

thanks for the reply. a refreshing contrast from the other company.

I don’t mind spending a little more money on a NAS with the appropriate capabilities. I just can’t see buying a Mac computer just to operate a dvr.

I haven’t been a tester for you at all, but would love the opportunity to become one for the alpha testing.

I have an Mac, so i can help with testing the combination Mac an atv with dvb

I’m completely set up with a Mac and I have multiple HD Homerun Extends to test with. I happen to live between two cities and I get excellent signal out of one city and okay signal out of the other, meaning I have duplicates of all the major and minor networks but one set is better than the other. This has been a problem for me with the SD DVR as it will record lower tuner channels over the other better channel and I have no choice on which channel it picks to record from… I have had to turn one of the cities off in the my.hdhomerun.com settings page (major pain in the butt when I want to watch a game on the other cities networks.) I will happily Alpha test or Beta test for you guys as I have a unique set of obstacles with my programming. I have been using the Channels app since it came out on the ATV4 and have loved it since I started using it! As for the guide data, I know that it is not elegant but could you allow for people to provide their own data with a Schedules Direct account?

I have an HDHomerun PRIME and two Apple TV gen 4. I have an all Mac household but was hoping to use a Synology NAS, but if the initial version is for MacOS I might get a Mac Mini instead.

Then why not also support Windows 10

You are correct that it is a remote desktop. I have not found it to be laggy at all and I’m using an AC network.

EyeTV will take over the whole screen. However there is an app called Air Parrot that you can use to send EyeTV only to the Apple TV (in full screen) while still being able to use your iMac’s screen for anything else. http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/

Thanks again Nigel - I will look at that too

Is it Fall yet? :wink:

#notimpatientatall

Any chance of a “DVR State of the Union - September 2016” update? How things are progressing?

YES! Lots of great info to share! I’ll try to work one up early next week.

1 Like

Excellent, can’t wait to hear the news!

I forget if this was mentioned before but will the linux version also be released with a docker image? I just purchased a NAS (probably should have waited) that has support for docker and lxc so I should be able to easily port whatever linux version you had in mind. If not I guess I could probably just make one and open source it assuming your not doing anything crazy with the kernel or require some sort of custom device.

please throw us a bone. don’t “nick” out on us.

September update here

Check out the December DVR State of the Union!

Channels DVR is now available in a Public Beta. You can learn more about it on the announcement thread