Easy way(s) to move off TV Everywhere?

ChannelsDVR + HDHR Prime + Comskip/LosslessCut + Numerous HDDs takes care of the external storage problem for me

1 Like

I love my channels DVR.
Give me the video. signal and i will do what i want with that signal.

Yeah...it's just TV. I'll get it somewhere else someway if anything falls apart. I'm a sports fan and only care about sports (and Jeopardy and WWE/AEW) so I'll live

I have Comcast and utilize their cablecards with six HD Homerun Primes for a total of 18 tuners for Channels DVR to use. I really don't need that many tuners all the time but they come in handy when recording a bunch of things, letting them record a little extra at the end and beginning and not having to worry about conflicts.

You willing to "lease" some of those tuners??? :wink: J/K

Do you have an antenna HDHomerun as well? I found 30% of our recordings were off OTA channels, so I dropped a Prime way back when to save $3-$5 bucks a month. Not sure I got a return on my investment (antenna, OTA Network tuner), but it was satisfying to take just a little bit way from Comcast bill. :slight_smile:

OTA PQ is superior to Comcrap 9 times out of 10 so getting a HDHR with that functionality and enough tuner can certainly help you wean off of TVE if you're shows are all there.

Getting a Cablecard with your cable provider and a Prime can work too (or Fubo and the fubo bridge + MAX/PlayON or SF)

Yeah, cablecards would be the right solution, if they were available and supported. I'm in NYC, and my understanding is that Spectrum has stopped providing them altogether.

If there's a cable service in NUC which supports new cablecards, I'd like to try it.

1 Like

I would love to seean adapter that supports YTTV. I don't care about their app at all. Just give me the signal.
We can dream!!!! oh well.

I think Cablevision, RCN and FIOS still sell Cablecards but it's been a while since I live in that area

The only options we are able to use are Spectrum and the usual live tv stuff.
The Fubo project delivers what i need but the price is a bit much.
Thinking about things and since Ballys is probably going to go away, they won't be a huge advantage.
FRNDLY and Plex along with ADB Tuner with encoders are the best right now.

1 Like

I have 2 HDHR OTA boxes. One is a Quatro and the other is the latest Flex 4K. I definitely use those to record the local channels instead of the ones on my HDHR Primes. The Primes are mainly for the cable channels not on OTA.

1 Like

The cablecards are free with my Comcast service. They dropped the fee a couple years ago.

Yes, a Quatro and a Flex 4K. Sometimes I wonder how the external hard drive connected to my Channels DVR server can keep up when recording so many things at once but it works. Channels DVR is really an amazing service. I have 6 Primes, 2 OTA and also have a lot of the Plex and Pluto channels.

2 Likes

Fios still allows cablecards as a family member up the street has TiVo

1 Like

You might try DTV Streaming - they have a 7 day trial. It claims to have unlimited dvr cloud storage. You could just use the various apps without Cdvr - up to 20 devices in home or 3 remotely. I can't think of anything simpler to just watch or record tv.

I switched after 6 years using Fubo as they kept dropping channels and raising prices. I do use with it Cdvr as I prefer local recordings & no commercials. I use ah4c and encoders for the drm'd stations - which does add a little more complexity, but still the best combination I've used in the last several years.

1 Like

Several streaming services claim "unlimited" storage but that only applies to disk space, not unlimited retention time.
Best case scenario, you will have a retention time of 9 months.

So "unlimited" is 50% accurate. :laughing:

Well, now you made me go look :shushing_face: - since I knew I wasn't interested in cloud recording.

From their website:
Store titles for up to 9 months with DIRECTV STREAM. You’ll see an alert 7 days before a recording expires.

Thanks for the clarification in case he's interested...

3 Likes

To be fair to DirecTV Stream, 9 months is the most you will get on most streaming services. This is true with YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV, and Fubo TV too.

That's correct. But I think the point is that lots of people considering the switch from local DVR to a cloud streaming service like DTV Stream, YTTV or the rest, may incorrectly assume that "unlimited" means, "without expiration," when it's not. That 9 month expiration for recordings is a deal-breaker for us, when it comes to DVR needs. I have many recordings in my library that I am happy to have retained for many years now.

An expiration date changes the whole dynamic, and not for the better.

3 Likes

100% in agreement! :handshake:

1 Like

Not to mention they are recordings on our hard drives that we can edit, copy, move and/or archive. Truly “unlimited.”

1 Like