Easy way(s) to move off TV Everywhere?

That was just making me think about the fact that I still have recordings in my library from every roll-your-own DVR solution I've ever used. Windows Media Center (late 00s to early 10s), MediaPortal (early 10s to late 10s) and Channels DVR (late 10s to present).

Each was a great solution for me in its era. But even when the software ran its course, I still have, and can play those recordings I wanted to keep -- commercial free. TVE was a nice, easy to use solution for a while, but so was analog cable when all you needed was a tuner card. :slight_smile:

A large amount of my recordings and Live TV viewing come via ah4c and HDMI encoders these days, but it works quite well, and gives me the premium movie channels and sports networks I'm looking for without restriction.

3 Likes

TVE itself in Channels, is not going anywhere folks.
Though, it will probably forever be in "beta" status.

There are still plenty of networks that offer a TVE stream, whether or not those networks are offered by your streaming provider, and if they are of interest to you, is a different thing.

Years back, Channels DVR stood out to me for offering this, "TVE", as a source, to get most of the CATV channels, with a much cheaper Streaming provider like Philo. (and the other big streaming services that were much cheaper back then) I had never heard of TVE before i had discovered Channels DVR.

I was using Windows Media Center, then later on after i had to move away from Win 7, I switched to Emby, along with my Prime Cable Card tuner and Comcast cable tv service.

But, in traditional Comcastic! fashion, their frequent Price Hikes, finally got to me, when the same service i had had for over 30yrs, Cable TV service only, became over $230+ a month for the package level that had the 3 channels i mainly watched and wanted. It was a glorious day, ripping out the ugly, piece of crap cable box and cables, driving to the Xfinity store in my area, walking in, and dumping it all and say, "Cancel my service!" on Jan 8, 2020, after test driving Channels DVR and some Nvidia Shields for a couple months.

Now, 4yrs+ later, most streaming services are nearly just as much $$$ as cable/sat services, or you need so many, they add up and cost even more.
TVE may slowly decrease to just a handful of networks at some point in the future, but hopefully, it will last a few years longer and by that time, maybe there will be some other just as simple as TVE alternative to integrate those networks into Channels DVR.

4 Likes

Do you get the NBC networks in CDVR using the Fubo project? Specifically Golf and USA?

Yes.

It would be interesting if the Channels DVR service were actually advertised that way, you know, honestly. "Hey, this won't be easy, in fact it might be fairly complicated."

channels DVR is certainly for those that want to tinker or have a great entertainment solution.
If you don't hase the after market stuff and just stick with native channels features, it can be pretty much plug and play.
The problems occur when you have all kinds of modifications.

3 Likes

This entire thread is about "moving off TV Everywhere" because it's dying a slow death. If that situation is what's driving folks to modifications that you speak of, it would seem that Channels DVR developers could roll those complexities right into the software. That way, there are programmers doing programmer stuff, and the rest of us doing the stuff we are good at (not programming). Just a crazy idea!

3 Likes

For me, Channels is synonymous with TVE. It's the reason why I started using it (Spectrum dropped cable cards), and I've been feeling for a while that this is likely my last year as a user. While I technically have a few things running on Docker (Channels itself is on DSM), it's only because I followed a tutorial to the letter. Every time I try to do the work and really understand Docker for myself, I get a headache. So adding more "stuff" to Channels isn't really a solution for me. I'm thinking when my sub expires, I'll just revert to TiVo (never stopped using it for OTA), Plex :pirate_flag:, and Sling or similar for live sports. I will miss the Australian TV m3u, but I was always frustrated that Channels couldn't parse its subtitles anyway.

1 Like

How did you go about setting up ADB with sling?
Are you using a bunch of keystroke commands to navigate the guide and select channels?

1 Like