Easy way(s) to move off TV Everywhere?

Hey folks, so I just noticed that CC/CMT/TV Land etc aren't on TV Everywhere anymore. With the slow drip of channels off of TVE, I'm thinking it's time to revise my solution.

I'm currently using an antenna with HDHomerun and YoutubeTV for TV Everywhere access. I'd like a new solution that's set it and forget it, that gets me basically all of the old school OTA and basic cable channels (including the ones YTTV doesn't support on TVE). Cost isn't really a concern, just ease of use and the ability to store as many TB of shows as I want.

I've seen a bunch of references on old threads to unofficial projects that could help. ADBTuner? Fubo something?

Can anyone point me to the easiest solution (or another thread that talks through this issue)? Thanks!

I don’t know that anything is going to be quite set and forget, and they all have pluses, but ADBTuner is probably the easiest I’ve used. ADBTuner itself is set and forget, but you still have the hardware on the backend — the streaming sticks and the HDMI encoder(s). Mine can run for a couple months with no issues, and then every now and then I need to reboot, or I find there’s a prompt waiting from one of the tuners, such as not being able to find the remote control.

If you’re willing to switch from YouTube TV to Fubo you can use (a) the excellent Fubo project docker solution that brings in all the channels, no additional hardware required and (b) the ability to use the Fubo app for customizable multi-view, on AppleTV at least. You do however also lose access to Turner networks (CNN, TNT.). But if losing those channels isn’t a dealbreaker and cost isn’t a concern I’d say that’s the easiest and most feature-rich solution to replace TVE on Channels DVR right now.

2 Likes

"...I'd like a new solution that's set it and forget it, that gets me basically all of the old school OTA and basic cable channels...Can anyone point me to the easiest solution"
Answer: Cable.

2 Likes

Great answer that is what I have OTA tuners and Primes.

2 Likes

Agree with @Fofer. Although Fubo is more expensive, I am able to run 3 separate houses (including locals) given their multi-site addon plus up to 10 screens running concurrently. Factor in the cost of comparable streaming services (say Hulu or YTTV), and it's a cost saver for me. Add the Fubo Project and you still have access to a lot (but not all) the channels.

Unfortunately Fubo's dispute with Discovery means no HGTV, FOOD, etc which I am now having to supplement with Philo subscription which isn't that bad, but I see the continued deterioration of Channels best value prop, a one stop shop to funnel all your content through. And if something happens to Fubo, my solution falls apart quickly.

I have Channels managing my HDHomerun (locals), and the Dockers running the ADBtuner project (Sling), the few TVE channels from Sling, the Pluto Docker, and the Frndly Docker.
My bill is $50 a month and I get hundreds of channels. Everything is the one Channels guide.
It has been 95% set and forget.

2 Likes

The fubo project is my favorite plus it has the missing stations. Great quality service through the docker.

1 Like

From my perspective, Channels best value prop is increasing because it allows us the flexibility to switch between providers, from YouTube TV to Fubo to Philo and/or Sling, etc. along with a myriad of ways to integrate thousands of other channels from other streaming sources via Custom Channels while still retaining our recorded and organized video library locally where we have complete control and customizability. While it is a little complicated to get the ingredients set up at first, the end result is the most adaptable, best-in-class live TV and DVR experience.

1 Like

For me, sad to see more and more networks dropping away. But not surprising.
As Networks consolidate, and/or move to their own walled garden platform/app.

I do not often watch Live TV, but for, need something to play in the background, or just, "i'm bored.. what is on TV.." filling the gap of missing TVE networks, Pluto and Samsung TV channels do the job for me. Those do not seem to be going anywhere, and they keep adding more channels infact.

Most shows on the now removed TVE networks, are easy to find, via other means on the internet. Many shows, seem to be releases on Streaming exclusively now, vs airing on CATV networks. (like South Park)
Finding such shows either on streaming services that you may already be subscribed to, just have to use their own app to watch/stream them. Or, to get a local copy, there are things like Streamfab, or PlayOn, or, of course via ye olde :pirate_flag: sites.

As far as alternatives to TVE, if you still have the cord, CATV service, and a HDHR Prime Cable Card Tuner is a top option, if you CATV provider still offers Cable Cards.
There are also M3U custom channels, how i get Pluto and Samsung TV channels. But there is also Plex, LG, and several others that can be added very easy.
There is Chrome Capture and ADBTuner, and maybe a couple other projects mention here already, or can find via Search here.

For me, I hope TVE stays for as long as possible. Philo is my only subscription and I do NOT intend to pay for any other, as all the others cost way to damn much, imo. If i need to use the Philo app to stream a specific show or network, I will. But, otherwise, those networks/show will lose my viewership and force me to other methods to watch the content i want to watch and they won't get a penny from me.

2 Likes

For the casual user who just wants to "plug and play", CDVR has become more dependent on customized, 3rd party solutions (FuboProj, HDMI, Chrome Capture, etc). These are less dependable as there are multiple handoffs happening to make everything work. For the tinkerer, that's ok. For the person who relies on this for his wife, mother, and a friend, I get a lot more calls about something not working than I did 2 years ago (Chrome updating itself has often times broken things).

So yes, it does offer a lot of variable solutions and in that sense offers a lot of flexibility, but that flexibility has been created as work arounds to the "plug and play" solution that CDVR was when TVE was first adopted and "just worked" on almost all channels offered by the streaming service.

Once FuboProj goes offline (at some point you have to assume they will change something that will break it), I'm likely going to have to move back to the streaming app for family and friends. Even for me, using Fubo app with HDMI capture, on occasion you need to keep your streaming box remote handy so you can click your profile. Heaven help me if it did that while recording one of my wife's shows.

But I will revise my statement, for the casual user CDVR's value is becoming harder to justify.

2 Likes

Are you suggesting moving back to cable itself, or some sort of cablecard based solution?

I would do cablecard if it's an option. Does anyone know if any NYC cable services still support cablecards?

1 Like

Thanks, I'll probably give this a shot.

Do you have a sense of the best place to start for getting a fresh install of Fubo project going? I skimmed the thread you linked, and it seems to span a variety of phases in the life of the project (including the originator saying he's not supporting it, but some folks "rescuing" the files). I'm not quite sure where to look to get going with it.

2 Likes

Yes.
CDVR is not quite set it and forget it, it's for tinkers IMHO.
User wants this below, that's cable to me.
"I'd like a new solution that's set it and forget it, that gets me basically all of the old school OTA and basic cable"

You seem committed to misrepresenting my request. For the second time, you've snipped out the part where I noted a key ability is to store as much as I want. Unless cable providers have recently added an external storage option, that's not the solution I'm looking for.

And to be clear: Yes, I'm aware cable is an option. If it gave me what I wanted, I wouldn't be asking here. I've been using Channels for 3+ years now, and would like to stick with it.

1 Like

For me (a total newbie to this stuff) the easiest approach ended up starting with Portainer and OliveTin, which includes the Fubo Project under the “Project One-Click” section. I’d recommend starting there and asking questions if you get stuck.

I’m in the same boat.

It’s also worthwhile to note that both YouTube TV and Fubo promise “unlimited DVR storage space” however, that’s a bit misleading because tof their DVR recordings are cloud-based, not yours to edit or keep, and they expire after 9 months.

If you do have an AppleTV though, the ability of the Fubo app to easily manage a 2x2 grid for on-the-fly multiview is really excellent, especially for news and sports junkies.

Cable Providers don't but I have 2 Cable Cards and 2 Primes and can record all Channels ... Right now I have over 32 TB allocated to Channels DVR. I have had a Prime tuner since 2012 with Cable card.. Has worked flawlessly ... knock on wood. Of course, this requires a Cable sub .... but others have suggested great alternatives. If I didn't have my Primes I would probably go the Fubo and Friendly TV way.

But the bottom line is it depends on which Channels you care about.

1 Like

Serious post and not gaslighting but this thread is interesting to me to see who here comes up with the best way to rearrange the deck chairs on the titanic.

Lots of cool projects that will ultimately be for nothing. The only unknown here right now is when the titanic will finally sink.

1 Like

I don’t get the “it will all be for nothing” argument. I don’t expect anything, in any context, to last forever. Channels DVR allows me to mix and match ingredients somewhat seamlessly, to help weather the storm of our media landscape, as my family and I enjoy movies and TV at home and when we travel. It’s certainly easier to bounce between streaming subscriptions with Channels DVR as a unifying hub and personalized organizer, than it is to switch without one. You'd lose all of your cloud recordings! I also find the unique customization to be really fun.

If at any moment, another service drops, or Channels DVR ceases to be the best interface, I will switch ingredients, and adapt. I’ll move to whatever platform, service or combination thereof that meets my needs best, at that time. Any transition would be pretty seamless because my recordings and organized movie library would still remain mine, to do with as I please. No regrets.

Change is constant. Life is short. Might as well enjoy each day with the best choices and experiences in the meantime.

8 Likes