ESPN+ & FOX Sports with Custom Channels via EPlusTV

As a test, can you try running at different resolutions and see if that changes anything? Or maybe a different client?

Tried to play on both Windows and Apple TV still no sound. Picture is fine

Yeah I can reproduce. I'm pushing up a fix in the next few minutes.

Just updated to the latest. Had no trouble with the auth, reloading the guide or starting/playing the stream and no issue with audio. And everything felt a little snappier. That is, for the streams that were actually active. I found several entries in the guide that are not actually available according to the ESPN+ site. Those did not work of course, but I cannot even see where they came from. (see below).

• Could be that I don't have authority to those or a blackout, but that doesn't really make sense for this content.
  • At least one of the entries in the guide ("Bart & Hahn") is from ESPN3. I turned that off in the environment variables with "false". Should that be leading case, or is it picking that up erroneously?
  • Some are duplicated, I think that is just that they offer the broadcast in Spanish

Anyway, thank you again for this. Really love have this on Channels.

Used this from your site

docker run -p 8000:8000 -v /your_config_dir:/app/config m0ngr31/eplustv

and I get this

Error: EACCES: permission denied, open '/app/config/entries.db'
    at Object.openSync (node:fs:594:3)
    at Object.writeFileSync (node:fs:2207:35)
    at initDirectories (/app/services/init-directories.ts:26:8)
    at /app/index.ts:176:18
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at /app/index.ts:8:71
    at new Promise (<anonymous>)
    at __awaiter (/app/index.ts:4:12)
    at /app/index.ts:175:13
    at Object.<anonymous> (/app/index.ts:184:3) {
  errno: -13,
  syscall: 'open',
  code: 'EACCES',
  path: '/app/config/entries.db'
}
1 Like

Aren't you using Docker in Windows? You need to tell it where "your_config_dir" is, as I showed a few posts above.

Ok thanks for the help. Got it up and running

1 Like

I pushed an update last night that has a few fixes - most notable are switching to a forked version of ffmpeg to handle playback better and some new environment variables to help fix the permission issues people are seeing.

3 Likes

Thanks for adding the ID environment variables with 2.0.0-beta4!

Was receiving "Error: EACCES: permission denied, open '/app/config/entries.db' stderr" (ESPN+ with Custom Channels - #316 by marcuscthomas) prior to this.

Running Docker 20.10.3 on Synology DSM 7.1.1

1 Like

Question, it's up and running and that's great. If my docker container restarts for whatever reason, will I need to reauthenticate with ESPN with the code? If that's the case, is there a way to send a notification alerting me that I need to reauthenticate? I've got this running on a mostly unattended desktop but I can't guarantee it won't reboot for some random Windows reason.

Follow up question, how long with the ESPN authentication last? Even if the container stays up indefinitely, will the underlying connection need to be reauthenticated?

It's an awesome product. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Hi there,
I think it is going to depend. I have the latest version of the container and i did have to activate once again. The docker works great.

Hi there,
Just moved over to Hulu plus live tv and noticed tha ti have to re-authorize the ESPN+ docker continer about every couple of days.
Wanted to know if i'm missing something?
I really like having all these sporting events alone with the great support through TVE.

1 Like

Hi there, j
Lookslike my token expired. I was looking over the ESPN plus appin Synology control panel and the container name is different each time it is started or created.
The access is great but i'm unsure why it stops. I get the white screen telling me my event will start in a minute but it never comes.
What change do i need to make on this end?
Love the idea.

1 Like

My authorization normally lasts 1-2 days. To reauthorize, I delete the tokens file in the eplustv folder, then just just hit the restart button in the container, wait a minute then get the new code from the log. I specifically record (3) teams on ESPN+. Since I know when most of the games are, I reauthorize on game day. I'm not sure why it loses it authorization since my ATV & Firesticks very rarely lose authorization.

The only time I have seen the container name change is when I recreate the container without 1st deleting the old container. I’m sure there is a better way to update to the latest version but it works; just remember to delete the old container first.

Thanks for the hint.
I will get it authorized today for a nice full day of sporting events.

Does anyone know if this can be run on a raspberry pi? If so, could anyone please recommend some kind of tutorial or list of steps i could try in order to do so?

1 Like

@augie0041 I haven't personally tried running on a Raspberry Pi, but the docker container supports it so I'd be interested to see how it performs.

@rpaulmerrell @jagrim @JayHeavner There is a bug with the auth tokens refreshing. I need to figure out where it's breaking. Shouldn't be too crazy to figure out :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I'm looking for a little help. I'm trying to get this to work on a M1 Mac using Docker Desktop for Mac with Silicon. This is the run command I've tried the most (played around some):
docker run -p 8000:8000 -v config_dir:/app/config -e START_CHANNEL=4000 m0ngr31/eplustv

The first time I run it in the morning I'll get the code to activate it in a browser. It will then pull in the games but they're assigned to channels 1 - 100. They show up in the guide in the Channels DVR browser and won't play. They don't show up on the guide on the TV after added to Custom Channels. The 4000 channels do but don't show the games in the guide, Just the EPlusTV logo and channel number. When I try to play the channel it shows "Event Will Start Soon". I know others have experienced this. Does this just not work on the Mac M1 or ? I've read through this thread multiple times and spent a good deal of time on this. I'm not experienced Docker user at all.

I'm using these in Channels Custom Channels set up, using the ip address of my Channels DVR setup.
192.168.1.89:8000/channels.m3u
192.168.1.89:8000/xmltv.xml

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

When setting up the custom channel did you select "prefer channel number from M3U" or "ignore channel number from M3U"?

In my setup, I have it set to "Ignore channel number from M3U and the channels appear in the guide at 11001-11100 and play fine when I click on them. I have no idea why or how they are mapped to the 11,000 range of channel numbers. I don't have the environment variable START_Channel set at all.

1 Like

I tried running it with "ignore channel number from M3U" and they appeared in the guide starting at 9000. That was an improvement of sorts. I did set the start channel for that at one time, but realized that Pluto TV used those channel numbers so had changed it to start at channel number 4000. I'm guessing they wouldn't play since they were running over another channel. I've run this so many time it's probably just grabbing the older code and I have no idea where it resides or what the command might be to delete it. They also appeared starting at channel 1 and on, also unable to play. As I said, not experienced in docker at all. Thanks for you help.

1 Like