ESPN+ & FOX Sports with Custom Channels via EPlusTV

Fox sports won't play in 4k though right

It will for 4k broadcasts. Their two 4k college football games yesterday worked.

Oh wow. That's cool. Does channels record it fully or does it need something extra

1 Like

You need to enable the option on the DVR admin web UI
Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 13-57-26 Channels Settings

This docker continues to work well for me. Super cool integration, and I've learned a lot along the way, thanks!

I notice the guide data rarely mentions the sport being played though. Like right now it says "SE Louisiana vs. Northwestern State - ESPN+" and the show's poster displays the team logos, but the only way I can see that it's women's soccer being played, at least via the Channels tvOS client, is by tuning in live. Same with "Middle Tennesee vs. Tennesee Tech" right now, also on ESPN+.

Nothing in the Channels interface indicates to me that it is men's soccer. (Or any kind of soccer for that matter.) The show's description underneath just matches the show's title identically: "Middle Tennesee vs. Tennesee Tech - ESPN+"

So most of the team matchups I see, don't mention what sport is being played. Is that expected behavior, or is there a way to get the sport being played included in the Channels guide, too? I'm guessing not, otherwise it would already be there, but I figured I'd ask in case there's something wrong with my configuration.

2 Likes

I've noticed this too. Nothing that is displayed indicates the sport.

I think the information must be there, but it isn't displayed. Whenever I create a channel collection based on a specific sport the events from EPlusTV are correctly included.

I wonder if this new CDVR server update today will help address this?

v2023.09.18.1403
• IMPROVED: Improved exporting of m3u/xmltv - Categories are properly applied and not duplicated
• IMPROVED: Custom Channels handles Event Title for Sports events properly
• IMPROVED: Exported xmltv now retains the proper source it was imported with
You’ll want to reload the xmltv of each of your Custom Channels sources to receive these changes and benefits.

@m0ngr31, any insight on this would be appreciated :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would be interested to know

i put a feature request for this on the github page. but it is there in the xml guide data. so if you set up channel collections you can make some filters. but yes i agree, channels dvr lists the event as the title and the teams playing as the sub-title, which i would prefer here as well.

1 Like

Agreed, browsing the guide to find an interesting matchup would be a lot easier if the actual sports being played was mentioned:

4 Likes

Is anyone else having problems with Fox 4k not working today? I'm getting this error in the docker: "Invalid auth token: missing, badly formed, or empty signature, expiration, contentType, or contentID param"

I am watching Oklahoma at Cincinatti (college football) in 4K via EPlusTV right now, it's working fine... my local Fox channel listed in the guide for it is KTTV.

It's not working for me either. Both of the Fox 4k games worked for me last week. No luck today.

+1

404 not found

I just scrolled through all the comments on this thread, and didn't find one with the issue I am having, so I will ask here.

First of all, it's working great, I'm on Windows using Docker Desktop. Everything streams fine (I haven't tried recording anything yet, but will be doing that tonight).

I'm mostly interested in pulling the ESPN+ NHL games into Channels, so I can have them in one place/record them etc.

I setup a few Automatic channel collections as follows:
"ESPN+" - Just has the "Sports" dropdown selected, and excluding my other tuner.
"ESPN+ Soccer" - Has "Soccer" set as a genre, and the "Sports" dropdown selected, and excluding my other tuner.
"ESPN+ Hockey" - Has "Hockey" set as a genre, and the "Sports" dropdown selected, and excluding my other tuner.

Those all seem to work, except when I view the ESPN+ Hockey collection, it is only showing me the Flames/Jets game (https://puu.sh/JQZeA/860971055e.png)

But when I view the ESPN+ or ESPN+ Soccer categories, I see other hockey games. There is currently soccer on those channels, but hockey later:
https://puu.sh/JQZeY/87839c997b.png (See the Vancouver Canucks/Oilers game on later)

Is it just marking that channel "3008" as Soccer, because that is what is currently airing? And the Hockey collection shows the Flames game, because that is the only thing on that channel?

Is there a way to have the Hockey collection show channel 3008, even though there is soccer on now, since there is hockey on later?

I checked the xmltv.xml file and the Canucks/Oilers game (As well as a Senators/Canadiens game) are marked as hockey.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Also, on Windows, where are the entries.db and schedule.db files located? I googled and checked folders I saw mentioned for docker files, but can't seem to find the eplustv folder

Thanks!

This has been working great but I continue to see weird issues with the recordings not showing up channels. They're recording in the schedule but they don't show up in the recordings or library sections of the ATV client, I have to actually watch them from the schedule. Also when recording a couple of MLB games last night, I couldn't modify or stop the recordings. I also tried to cancel one in advance (you get both home and away broadcasts of MLB games, and I only wanted one) and couldn't do it.

So there's something that channels doesn't like in the metadata that's being generated for these by E+, because I only see these issues with E+ recordings.

And now as with others I'm getting 404 not found on Fox college football, which used to work beautifully in 4K.

This issue must differ by location and/or channel because I am watching USC @ Colorado (college football) in 4K via EPlusTV right now, it's working fine... my local Fox channel listed in the guide is KTTV in Los Angeles.

I recently switched my server from an intel Mac mini to an M2. I set up everything as before and run this docker through docker desktop interface. Things worked as expected for 2 weeks but now I am starting to get transcoder errors any suggestions? I am trying access all of this locally on my network I’ll include my current transcoder settings below.

It's a little after the fact, but I thought I'd share the pass I created to get the the ESPN+ exclusive Sunday morning NFL game to record automatically:

I figure even if there isn't another one this year, this should give an idea to someone trying to figure out what they may need to do to get their scheduled recordings working. I just had to manually skip the 'Toy Story' version with this:

• Program seemed to start way too early, so I wanted it to to start recording AFTER in order to limit what was recording, but also to make sure the stream had started (I know this is important for people doing the 4K as it takes a few minutes to kick in at that level).

• Genre was set to "NFL", which surprised me that it was available, but thank goodness so I didn't have to use generic "football" and figure out a way to exclude the Saturday college stuff. @m0ngr31, I agree with @Fofer, if we have tags for the specific leagues and sports, it would be great to expose them in the descriptions of the EPG.

• My stations for EPlusTV are the highest of my bunch, so I said anything up there.

• 10,800 seconds = 3 hours, avoided news shows.

• Summary having "ESPN+" got me the "network" I was looking for.

• Excluded Mondays because I didn't want the regular MNF games (already have Channels ESPN integration for that).

• Excluded español porque prefiero escuchar en ingles.