Expected transcoding performance?

thanks!! i will give it a try before upgrading the OS. still dragging my feet…

the software encoder works great; it’s doing about 1.67x real time on 1080i->720p. thanks for adding that, it will buy me some time and enable my luddite tendencies.

as an aside, what’s the right way to upgrade the server? i could see that latest@ was already pointing to a new build but the server was still reporting the old version, saying it was waiting to upgrade (for several hours). i did killall channels-dvr and manually restarted it but i guess there might be a launchd rule as another copy spawned a couple of seconds later. so i killed the one i started; everything seems fine.

rob

The sever waits until “Activity: Idle” to restart. There might be a bug that causes it not to in certain cases, as I have heard some reports.

There is a launchd service in place, so killing it should be enough to get it to respawn.

ah - yeah it was showing the status “downloading guide data” for most of the morning, which i assume is probably not really what it was doing for several hours.

rob

You can check the log tab to see what it was doing… possible it was downloading guide data. There was a bug that could have caused it to download guide data multiple times this morning.

hmm, hard to say if there’s anything unusual there, except for apparent DNS resolution failure when trying to fetch latest.json overnight and this morning. this could have been due to an internet outage on my end though.

rob

hi, found this thread searching for why ffmpeg on my mac mini is taking up 250% of my cpu%. I’ve checked all the bandwidth using the speedtests recommended to me on both locations. When I try to remote stream it works for about 20 mins and then it stops…no matter how low i drop the quality. When i check the activity monitor at the home base the ffmpeg flys to the top when trying to play and at an astronomical 250%+ . I’m guessing this is what is not allowing the stream to actually play. Evne when it plays it last for 2-3 seconds stops, then starts again. What is happening?

Do you have hardware transcoding enabled on your Mac?

[quote="tmm1, post:6, topic:930, full:true"]

If you have an active VNC connection, that could be using up the hardware encoder too.
[/quote]

So if I have TeamViewer running on my iMac, will that impact Channels performance?

Yes, pretty sure I do. On the my.channelsdvr.net setting page its set to Hardware - 2mbps - blend. Is there another place I should check?

That looks fine. I suggest you run a HWE test as described in VTEncoderXPCService CPU Usage and then open a new thread with the results.

Using hardware encoding on 2012 Mac mini with Ivy Bridge quad core i7, is there a way to increase the number of threads dedicated to ffmpeg like we can with comskip?

2020/10/13 22:34:10.906477 [HWE] Trying h264_videotoolbox: /Users/name/Library/Application Support/ChannelsDVR/latest/ffmpeg /Users/name/Library/Application Support/ChannelsDVR/latest/ffmpeg -hide_banner -nostats -loglevel warning -loglevel verbose -f lavfi -t 0.1 -i color=black:640x480 -c:v h264_videotoolbox -profile:v high -level 4.2 -realtime 1 -f null -y /dev/null
2020/10/13 22:34:11.117198 HWE] Successfully encoded using h264_videotoolbox