[EXPERIMENTAL] DVR server on SHIELD Tube, etc

that's "self powered usb thang" to you!

I ripped apart the enclosure to my 1.5 TB GoFlex portable drive and just used this instead of the USB powered SATA adaptor that came with it.

1 Like

Interesting i got to get one of those. I see various uses for it.

I have a few USB powered SATA cables around. They are super useful to have for working with older drives or archiving without enclosures. They are indeed super useful. It's cool they offer one with self power! This one works either way which is kind of nice to make it a bit more flexible.

I have been running the Channels DVR server on the TIVO Stream 4K since this thread began and have been very impressed. It makes a great little stand alone platform for my travel trailer so I have live TV channels, streaming apps player, a DVR server, and Player all in one box. I use a 256 Gb Flash and thats ample storage for how I use it. I did just notice a problem that I hadn't noticed before. When I delete a recording from Channels, it doesn't actually delete off the thumb drive. I figured it was a permissions thing because I also discovered that a couple file managers I put on the TIVO also would not delete the files. I can externally delete them however. Anybody got an idea what I'm missing here?

Strange. Does the DVR web UI Log tag show errors related to the delete?

Are they in the Trash?

I see no errors or a Trash folder. The files I deleted from channels are still in their original folder (TV) in my DVR folder. The reason I'm thinking its something besides the Channels App is because I tried deleting those files from file manager I installed on the TIVO (X-plore) and it also was unable to delete them. Then I copied a file from the thumb drive to the internal memory and the file manager was able to delete it there. I know Android has had idiosyncrasies in the past with external memory and this is what its looking like. I just haven't heard of any in current times. I can also delete the files externally over a wifi file manager (wifi file explorer) from my Mac. For whatever reason, the Android TV doesn't want to delete the files on the external memory. That's why I feel like I'm just missing something.

Could you click Support > Submit Diagnostics on your DVR web UI

sent

The thought just occurred to me, does the thumb drive have to be formatted as device memory for the device to be able to delete files? I'd prefer to keep it as external memory so I could move it if I need or want to but maybe that's not going to work. Writing to it works great but deleting is the issue.

There is no "Trash" folder.
The recording is only marked for deletion. Default is to delete the recorded file the day after you delete it.
Like a Recycle bin, etc.

Ahhhhh...got it! I hadn't seen the display from your referenced thread about the trash. I found that display on my UI and sure enough, the shows I deleted today were marked to be deleted later. I'll watch them and ensure they definitely leave the thumb drive. I was thrown off track when the the file manager's I was testing wouldn't delete files either. I guess that's another quest. Thanks! You guys rock and I love what you're creating!

1 Like

I was trying to move my faulty Shield DVR Server over to my TiVo Stream 4K device, but when I do the restore function using the same external USB HDD connected to the TS4K instead of the Shield, I keep getting those "write permission" errors when I try to select where to save the DVR recordings to. I have tried multiple ways, including this suggestion:

"...then create the folder structure: Android/data/com.getchannels.dvr/DVR...."

.....All to no avail. The only differences I see are as follows:

1. My USB drive is formatted NTFS, not ExFAT.

2. In my drive path, it still shows the same file folder path's disc description, i.e. - "/storage/CE9E6EE99E6ECA13/DVR", but I saw a post here sayng it should be in a format like "/storage/XXXX-XXXX/DVR" with the X's being numbers, when using this with an Android device like the Shield Tube or TiVo Stream 4K?

Am I missing something? Is there a special way that these Android devices need to be setup as a DVR Server compared to something like the Shield?

I can't figure this out. I am trying to set this up so I can troubleshoot to see if I have a bad Shield or USB HDD, or something else, since I am having so many issues when using the Shield Pro 2019 as a DVR Server.

Last time I tried the TS4K, there were no restrictions on the folder and you could simply save to /storage/XX/DVR. It's possible that in the recent upgrades something has changed. But in that case, the Android/data/com.getchannels.dvr subdirectory should always work.

Can you submit diagnostics from that DVR?

I already moved it off there and onto my PC again, for troubleshooting purposes, to see if it's the HDD. If it works well on the PC then I at least know the HDD is good. Then I will try to move it back to the TS4K and submit logs if I get the same errors.

I was thinking of formatting the HDD to ExFAT and starting fresh. Do you think that will give me the correct "/storage/XX/DVR" file path and then work properly? What was the "XXXX-XXXX" location someone mentioned? Is that specific to drives hooked up to a Shield Tube or TS4K or other generic Android TV device (not Shield)?

Any drive attached as external storage on android appears under /storage with a random name. Sometimes its in XXX-XXX format, other times its just one long hex string. It's the ID of the HDD or something.

OK that's what I thought. I was grabbing at straws trying to figure out why on God's green earth it kept giving me errors with the DVR path when I double, triple and quadruple checked it and tried every possibility in the book!

The restore worked perfectly, but it kept throwing errors saying I didn't have permission to write to that drive path. :mad:

It is the UUID of the filesystem. FAT-based filesystems use the 4-4 format, while most others use the 8-4-4-4-12 format. blkid and similar tools can show you your devices' IDs.

Thanks @racameron, but to be clear, no matter the UUID, it shouldn't affect what I am doing and the errors I am seeing, right?

It definitely looks like a permissions issue. The fact that you're using NTFS muddies the issue, because that FS treats permissions differently than FAT partitions. (While ExFAT can use ACLs like NTFS, that level of permissions are usually ignored on Linux/Android.)

If you're going to use a drive between different systems/OSs, you really ought to use FAT32 or ExFAT for your drives ... NTFS, ext4, and others will just bring additional issues.