Experimental: Local Networks (NBC, ABC, FOX) in some major metros via TVE

@tmm1 - I have build 2020.12.10.1836 - but can't find where to enable this feature.

I did test that I have access to the channels (for example, I checked nbc.com/live

How do I enable this in Channels?
Help?

Settings > Experimental > Local Networks via TV Everywhere

It will only appear after a TV Everywhere source has been added, and the DVR server restarted.

@racameron - that was it. Rebooted and there it was. Thanks!!

I have this setup and working, but any ideas why NBC would be picking up the South Bend (WNDU) station instead of Chicago (WMAQ)? The other local channels are all picking up the Chicago stations correctly.

Good question. For a long time my local Channels TVE NBC channel was from NY and I'm in CA.
It's working correctly now, but the devs said it was an issue with NBC even though I could tell NBC geo-located me to my correct home zipcode.

2 Likes

Here's the thread where my NBC channel was from NY.

Is there a way to make the server refresh its location? I moved from St Paul to Green Bay about a week ago and still see the St Paul stations.

1 Like

Merely turning off Local Networks, restarting the server, then re-enabling it was not sufficient in my personal experience.

To get a new location’s local networks, I had to delete the TVE source, restart the server, then re-add the TVE source to get the new location’s locals to appear.

1 Like

That did the trick, thanks a bunch!

1 Like

Is there a easy way to set these Local networks to use the OTA channel numbers?

ie, i want to replace the OTA station with the TVE version, but keep the OTA channel number.

For example, NBC is 6000 TVE, but I want it to show up as 11.1 in the guide

Not easily, but it can be done. You can use a M3U playlist to redirect to the stream. For an example of what I mean, and to give you direction, see here:

1 Like

I’ve been looking for something just like this- Do you know if there is a way to add guide data for a channel that otherwise isn’t getting guide data in Channels? Is there a place I go can to get that?

1 Like

I’ve been looking for something just like this- Do you know if there is a way to add guide data for a channel that otherwise isn’t getting guide data in Channels? Is there a place I go can to get that?

2 Likes

You can provide your own guide data using external XMLTV files. If you search through the forum for "XMLTV" you'll find more thorough discussions on that topic. However, you'll find that guide data for local channels probably won't be better than what Gracenote provides.

There are also some other ways to get local OTA guide data into Channels, but it's not the easiest.

1 Like

Thanks! @racameron Do you know how I would get the station ID for the guide? In the example you posted it has “ tvc-guide-stationid="64241" “. How can I lookup the right code for a particular station?

I pulled it from the guide data directly from Channels. You can also get it by checking out the station on Zap2it.com (which uses the same upstream source as Channels).

2 Likes

Does the CW network offer TVE? Any chance CW could be added to this in the future?

1 Like

Nope. If you go to their web site you will NOT see an option to watch live. They only offer on demand.

You could try Locast, $5 "donation" per month for local stations including CW. Or grab an antenna and HDHR.

1 Like

Should NBC be working with HULU TV, TVE? Thanks.

2 Likes