Experimental: Local Networks (NBC, ABC, FOX) in some major metros via TVE

TVE ABC is now working for the first time for me here in Minneapolis. Thanks.

I still get unimplemented channel for ABC..with using Xfinity TVE
But no matter to me as i got a OTA tuner now and that channel is 100% signal.

You have to update your dvr first. Does it work on abc.com?

1 Like

Does this put you on a beta only channel? I am worried if I do this I will be stuck on the latest betas.

No it only updates when you click-and-hold

I just upgraded to 2020.01.28.0214 and I still get this when trying to add ABC:

abcgo: 1037:Unable to retrieve required files for playback. Please try again in a few minutes.

I can access my local Fox TV via the live URL in Minneapolis via my Sling Subscription, but I'm not seeing it listed as an available channel. FS1 works with the same login. I'm using a PR4100 for my Server.

I am unable to get Telemundo to list. It doesn't even show on the channels list.

I just setup a new server on a new Shield Pro. When I added my two TVE providers, xFinity from my PA home and Spectrum from my home here in HI, it's not giving me the local ABC, NBC, FOX affiliates like it used to. I know it probably won't give me the ABC and NBC from PA I got from PA since it is now out of the area, but I used to at least get one of them using this location here in HI, but I don't now.

When I go to Edit Channels it doesn't even make them show up anymore as options, when I believe it did before. There used to be a check box to tell your DVR to use these TVE channels in the Settings menu but I don't see that now either. Maybe that was just when this was beta, idk.

The box is still there. Check all the way at the bottom under Experimental.

I thought we couldn't use TVE on the Shield devices.

You can't use YouTube TV logins for TVE on the Shield. All others are supported, as far as I know.

Ah! Thanks for clarifying that for me. I may move over to a different provider if that's the case.

I did check there, numerous times. I did get it to show up though, after moving my DVR server files over to a USB drive, doing a restore and then updating to the latest beta fw. After that, it was there ready to be checked and used.

Thanks @racameron!!!

For anyone viewing this topic,
PBS was added Sep 3, 2020 link here
CBS was added Sep 21, 2020 link here

1 Like

I set this up the other day, and it worked fine. But the next day, without me making any changes, the guide reverted to showing the OTA locals from my HDHR, and not the TVE versions. I still have the "Local Networks via TVE" box checked, and I still have the TVE source set to higher priority.

Make sure you are not just showing favorites ... and make sure on the clients the TVE source is higher priority.

1 Like

I've noticed an odd thing with guide labels for ABC. In SoCal/LA, when this feature was originally released, the TVE ABC network call sign was listed as ABCSTR in the guide, causing it to remain separate/unmerged with local OTA KABC-DT. Recently, I noticed that the TVE ABC was finally identifying itself correctly as KABCDT, to match the OTA guide.

However, I noticed today that after upgrading to a new pre-release, the TVE ABC is back to differently identifying itself. However, instead of ABCSTR, it is now showing up as KABCSTR. Is this a change in how the local is identifying itself when scanning for TVE locals, or was there some other change made that might be affecting this?

Sounds like the guide data mapping is swapping back and forth monthly when the cache expires, due to multiple entries with similar names in the GN database. Can you submit diagnostics and I'll look up the proper one and hardcode for KABC.

Sure. And it's not really a big deal, just mostly a cosmetic thing. I'd fix it myself by either editing the OTA/Locast guide to match the TVE, but TVE sources are not available for guide matching; I'd edit the TVE guide to match OTA/Locast, but you can't edit the guide matching for TVE sources. (I suppose I could try sending a PATCH request to the TVE endpoint and see if that does anything ...)

Here are the diag logs after a fresh database download/recreation, following by a reboot: 89145d87-c9ba-4dc4-b89f-8c774cabb32e