Experimental: Local Networks (NBC, ABC, FOX) in some major metros via TVE

Here's the thread where my NBC channel was from NY.

Is there a way to make the server refresh its location? I moved from St Paul to Green Bay about a week ago and still see the St Paul stations.

1 Like

Merely turning off Local Networks, restarting the server, then re-enabling it was not sufficient in my personal experience.

To get a new location’s local networks, I had to delete the TVE source, restart the server, then re-add the TVE source to get the new location’s locals to appear.

1 Like

That did the trick, thanks a bunch!

1 Like

Is there a easy way to set these Local networks to use the OTA channel numbers?

ie, i want to replace the OTA station with the TVE version, but keep the OTA channel number.

For example, NBC is 6000 TVE, but I want it to show up as 11.1 in the guide

Not easily, but it can be done. You can use a M3U playlist to redirect to the stream. For an example of what I mean, and to give you direction, see here:

1 Like

I’ve been looking for something just like this- Do you know if there is a way to add guide data for a channel that otherwise isn’t getting guide data in Channels? Is there a place I go can to get that?

1 Like

I’ve been looking for something just like this- Do you know if there is a way to add guide data for a channel that otherwise isn’t getting guide data in Channels? Is there a place I go can to get that?

2 Likes

You can provide your own guide data using external XMLTV files. If you search through the forum for "XMLTV" you'll find more thorough discussions on that topic. However, you'll find that guide data for local channels probably won't be better than what Gracenote provides.

There are also some other ways to get local OTA guide data into Channels, but it's not the easiest.

1 Like

Thanks! @racameron Do you know how I would get the station ID for the guide? In the example you posted it has “ tvc-guide-stationid="64241" “. How can I lookup the right code for a particular station?

I pulled it from the guide data directly from Channels. You can also get it by checking out the station on Zap2it.com (which uses the same upstream source as Channels).

2 Likes

Does the CW network offer TVE? Any chance CW could be added to this in the future?

1 Like

Nope. If you go to their web site you will NOT see an option to watch live. They only offer on demand.

You could try Locast, $5 "donation" per month for local stations including CW. Or grab an antenna and HDHR.

1 Like

Should NBC be working with HULU TV, TVE? Thanks.

2 Likes

Can you login with your Hulu credentials and watch your local NBC channel on their website?
https://www.nbc.com/live?brand=nbc

Yes, along with ABC, CBS and FOX. All work in Channels other than NBC.

So you currently have the following channels working on your Channels DVR
6001-ABC
6002-FOX
6003-CBS
but are missing 6000-NBC?
And you're positive when you watch from their website you're viewing your local NBC channel, i.e. screen logo matches call sign?

I have the same Problem with FOX ... I can watch live on their site but TVE does not show it.

Exactly.
When I go to scan all channels, NBC would be the very first channel. I did it a few times and looked real closely and it doesn't even show it, so there is no option to manually scan it. It is like it skips it rather than scans it. A week from tomorrow is the first SNF game so I will probably wait until next weekend and then remove Hulu as a source and re-add it. I don't really watch much on that station.