Fast Forwarding on a recording sometimes lags

I've noticed that if I have a recording stored with my Channels DVR server, and I try to fast forward within the program...it sometimes "lags".

For instance, I can press pause, and then fast forward manually for a minute or two. The first time I do this, I see the thumbnails...and when I press play, it goes just fine.

But the second time...no thumbnails. And when I press play...nothing happens. But about a minute later, it will start playing again.

I'm running Version 2024.02.11.0311 of the Channels server on my Unraid in Docker, and Channels 5.8.1 on my Apple TV.

Any thoughts?

Speedtest between client and server. You need fast speeds for fast seeks

1 Like

I've already done that. Iperf3 shows 940Mbps. I have an Apple TV that is gigabit ethernet to the server.

What do advanced diagnostics show for the read and write speeds of your disk?

4.8GBs Write & 6.1GBs Read

Is your streaming quality set to Original?

Those are settings for the web player, not the client. Quality Settings for the client, are in the client.

Are you having this trouble in the client, or in the web player?

Ah...sorry. The client on the Apple TV is set to original. It's an AppleTV (latest model), with gigabit ethernet. So no reason to slow it down.

1 Like

Please download the Testflight beta to your Apple TV and update your DVR to the latest pre-release and go to Settings -> Support -> Speedtest and let us know what the results say there.

You can join our TestFlight beta program by visiting Channels — Beta Program from an iPhone or iPad and then downloading the TestFlight app on your Apple TV.

If you do not have an iPhone or iPad please email your Apple ID email address to [email protected] and we can add you.

I think I have this issue too. I FFW fine for the first few seconds and it shows many frames. Then it only shows a frame every second. If I let it play for a sec, I can FFW again normally for a few sec. Then issue comes again. It works fine most of the time. Last time I had the issue was at like 3am.

I am also plugged into gigabit Ethernet cable to a D-Link? Green switch. I think the Apple TV or the D-Link is deciding to put the ethernet port into power save mode. I also sometimes have issues with losing network connection especially after first starting up for the day.

Apple told me to plug directly into my router and they were ready to replace the Apple TV. But I haven’t had time to try that yet. I assume they would want my Channels DVR also plugged into same router.

If you’re talking about linear fast forwarding, holding down the forward button, then yes. You’ll have that experience. The video data is just not local. So you’re not going to get the same experience.

I think you’ll find that seeking, a single press forward or back, works just fine, and is instant, if you are wired.