Favorites sync across apps

I’ve been thinking about how “favourites syncing” might be accomplished. Here are my thoughts.

DVR

On initial installation: Pull favourites from the tuner. Allow the user to subsequently alter them on the DVR. Provide a button to re-sync with the tuner.

Clients

On initial installation: Allow choice of syncing with DVR (if available) or tuner. Allow local alterations. Button to allow re-syncing with DVR (if available) or tuner.

Advantages

Easy to propagate mass changes, as when SD’s Premium TV showed up. Easy DVR and per-client customization. All the flexibility one could want?

Multi-Tuner Situations

This gets complicated. Best thing I could come up with would be great for tech, math and logic geeks, maybe not so much for others: Boolean logic options AND and OR.

When syncing to multiple tuners (DVR or apps): Allow user to select one tuner, or ANDing or ORing from all of them. A logical AND says "set as Favourite only if it’s a Favourite on all tuners. A logical OR says "set as a Favourite if it’s a Favourite on any tuner.

Really Cool Additional Option?

When a DVR is present, allow Favourites to be saved to a Named Favourites Set on the DVR, where it can be retrieved, by name, by other clients :smiley: (Maybe use the device’s name as the default name?)

ETA (to clarify)

By “Favourites” I meant to include “Ignored” channels, as well.

I’d just like to pull from the Channels server to sync with all my devices, so if I change the favorites in the server it syncs with everything. The way it is now with the premium channels or adding a favorite I have to add the favorites to about 8 clients individually.

2 Likes

What a PITA!

Not everyone has a Channels server.

Suggest a solution?

Doesn’t change what I’d like to see. For others it can just be pulled and synced from my.hdhomerun.com.

1 Like

Agree with Tim…those of us paying for Channels DVR need a separate channels listing for a base channels listing for utilizing the DVR. Others (without C DVR) should be well satisfied with current process. If not, app users’ opinions should be respected, based on detailed use cases.

4 Likes