[Feature Request] Enable Swipe Up for Showing Grid Guide

The swipe up gesture currently appears to be unused (while viewing a program). DirectvNow, for example, makes great use of this feature to show VOD content and last channels watched.

I love the fact that Channels has enabled swipe down to show my Favorite channels. I would love to see the team enable swipe up in order to trigger the appearance of the grid channel guide.

For those of us with DVR service, you could give us a setting to determine if swipe up shows the channel grid guide or the DVR recordings.

I would expect that the current active program would continue playing in the background when the grid guide is displayed in this manner (same as happens when swipe down shows the favorite channels tray over the currently active program).

1 Like

i agree on this feature request. i also referenced the Directvnow comparison in 1 of my posts.

1 Like

Wow I had no idea you could swipe up from the bottom on the DTV Now app. Pretty undiscoverable feature. It’s also awkward to use, because you can’t swipe down to hide it. Instead you have to hit menu, which is also confusing.

In Channels we’ve tried to minimize the swipe interactions available on the remote, because it is far too easy to accidentally swipe on the remote and not realize what’s happening. This is the same reason Apple decided to remove the “swipe to scrub” feature shortly after the ATV was released, and changed the stock video player to require a pause first to enable scrubbing.

Is there a means to filter functions based on accelerometer? For example, if the remote is moving fast (ie, being picked up from a table or stationary position), you would disable swipes during that rapid movement. But allow swipes otherwise (when the remote is relatively stationary which its likely to be if I’m holding it).

I agree that the Directv channel change swipe action is horrible in terms of usability. I’ve frequently accidentally changed channels just from picking the remote up.

However, I’ve never accidentally triggered a swipe action from Channels that I can recall. I’d think the same would apply to swipe in the opposite direction. A swipe is much more intentional than a touch, especially if it has to be linear (diagonal swipes would not trigger I would expect)

Finally, I know you are concerned about unintended consequences of these behaviors. I believe you can address this for those users by giving them the option in settings to enable/disable the feature. Perhaps its disabled by default if you find that its a problem. I see nothing but upside in terms of usability of Channels.

My iphone has swipe in both directions (notifications swipe down) and the lower tray options (swipe up from bottom) and I appreciate that it’s there. I’ve never unintentionally triggered it.

It’s also awkward to use, because you can’t swipe down to hide it. Instead you have to hit menu, which is also confusing.

I agree that it’s confusing at first. But once you’re used to the fact that the menu button operates as a back button on almost all apps it’s second nature.

I’d expect that you would code it so that a swipe in the opposite direction that opens it, closes it. Just like iphone trays. We are already used to this behavior from our phones. Where possible, make it work the same as what we are used to.

+1. It doesn’t have to be the precise suggested mechanism, but being able to call up the guide while watching TV would be an excellent addition. How about a user-selectable behavior for “shake the remote”, rather than the currently available “mute on shake”: on/off option? In theory, one should implement multiple types of gesture (swipe up, swipe down, shake) each of which has a default option of “off” if the devs think it’s too annoying.

Letting the video keep running behind the guide would be nice, but I personally don’t want a lot swiping functions. I am always accidentally changing the channel in directv now. It is also hard to keep up with what swiping does where. I am only using OTA so swiping down for the favorites guide is fine for jumping between channels.

What I want directv to do is implement the double tab play/pause to jump between channels.

2 Likes

Agree. Directv’s Siri remote interaction is a mess. Near totally unusable. Channels on the other hand, and the Channels dev team, is head and shoulders above Directv Now’s implementation.

Either we have swipe or we don’t. And if we have it, in my opinion, we should FULLY have it.

With that said, there are ways to minimize unintentional input. My iphone for example, utilizes swipe in both directions. However, for tray swipes, they use edge detection. For example, the swipe must start at the very top edge ot the screen or the very bottom edge of the screen in order to trigger a tray opening.

I’m not a tvOS developer so I’m not certain if this same detection method is available to the devs in tvOS. However, it would be useful in this case if it is.

The Siri remote also has an accelerometer which may be able to be used in order to detect and differentiate a pick up event from an input event, in other to prevent unintended input.

1 Like

+1