Feature Request- File Name

I am discussing our options with the MCEBuddy developer.

ok good deal! Thanks!

it would be nice to include (able to customize) the season and episode data in the file name, not every app will detect this convention and may not be willing to alter their detection criteria. iFlicks is another that won’t detect your convention.

@tmm1

Challenges I’ve seen on Plex matching—

Being able to strip beginning and traliing date on current file name, in order to set a containing (Showname) folder.

For exact creation of new folders/file and subsequent matching a containing folder needs “Showname + First Broadcast Year” in the case of multiple matches of Showname (Bull) (e.g. Bull (2016), or just “Showname” with single match of Showname (Code Black) (e.g. Code Black). Additionally, it appears that a containing folder of Code Black (2015) (i.e., Showname + First Broadcast Year) is allowable as the containing folder for all seasons/episodes of Code Black for Plex (all folders/files outside of Channels file structure).

If rboy1 is able to pull “Showname” & “First Broadcast Year” from Channels file metadata to create the required “Showname” and “First Broadcast Year” into a new setup “Channels Unprocessed” and “Channels H.264” (H.264+AC3), then we could utilize to create new folders/files from MCEBuddy for use with Plex for CommFree and/or transcoded files.

Current problem is creating the correct higher level “Showname” folder (that is required). In the Bull example, if only “Showname” (Bull) can be created it is simply a matter of fixing an incorrect match in Plex with search criteria … choosing a match with “Bull (2016)” rather than “Bull”. This example is atypical of Showname as most Shownames (no Year required) are unique.

Another easier option (which I haven’t tested yet, but will) is to replace original Channels file with a MCEBuddy processed file of H.264/AC3. Hopefully, Channels would treat this as an original file and be able to play on ATV/iOS/Web UI.

Thoughts?

Edits for clarification - 10:48P.M.

1 Like

It seems as of now channels DVR has the show name metadata as

Ex: 2017-01-02-1900 The New Celebrity Apprentice 2017-01-02

Seems to me that the best way would be to break that up into separate metadata in channels DVR and still have the file named as is.

Ex:RecordedDateTime SeriesShowname SeriesPremiereDate

This way it would still be in the same format but would be read by mcebuddy correctly.

Just a thought. May not be that simple.

Exactly…we are investigating the easiest way to extract just the series (show) name from the filename or file metadata, by utilizing only MCEBuddy…thereby not requiring other interventions/workarounds to “parse” the filename to obtain just the required Showname.

1 Like

Tested h.264/ac3 replacement of original Channels file. Prelim looks good for playback on Channels and Plex compliance.

Will more fully test tomorrow and attach screenshots for MCEBuddy.

This methodology may not be acceptable long term, but should be at least useable short term, based on user prefs.

Following is a very rough outline for utilizing MCEBuddy (donator version) to obtain a comfree and transcoded (H.264/AC3) to replace original Channels files. I've played back from Channels ATV and Web UI without too many hiccups. Was able to increase streaming resolution to 480p from 240p utilizing a very under powered mid 2010 mac mini. Also, Plex compliant...see note at end.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN TESTING (Be sure to have backups). This is an experimental version. You are using at your own risk, as I will not accept responsibility for any loss of data or disruptions to service. The following also assumes familiarity with MCEBuddy.

MONITOR LOCATION

Note: Monitor path: The path to your Channels Recordings. Monitor name is user defineable.

Go to Expert Settings

DUE TO MCEBUDDY TIMING ANOMALIES...ARCHIVING DOESN'T WORK IN THIS PROCEDURE

Note: Archiving original file to a separate user selectable location. This will produce a flat list of all Channels TV files without an enclosing sub folder of Showname. Still trying to resolve extraction of Showname to create enclosing sub folders
If not checked and Archive folder left blank, then no archive copy will be made.

CONVERSION TASK

Note: Destination is blank ... will overwrite original Channels file. This will only monitor the TV folder. I'd suggest making a separate rule set for Movies, for a separation of TV & Movies in the archived files. Also task name is user defined.

Go to Advanced Settings

Note: Additional user defined parameters by preference.

Go to Expert Settings

Note: Using defaults currently...additional usage parameters are possible

Finally: As Channels enclosing sub folder only defines Showname (& doesn't include year of first airings of series, you may find that Plex makes an incorrect match (due to more than one possible choice, e.g. Bull...Plex needs "Bull (2016)" to correctly match). As these non matches are fairly rare, make the match correction within Plex for applicable posters/metadata.

HAVE FUN :sunglasses:

EDIT: Followup 1/13, the archived file is not saving as expected...1/14 CANNOT FIX FOR THIS PROCEDURE.

1 Like

Not a Windows user, but I’m trying to similar out for Mac and Linux systems. Presumably for the file to be recognized the filename extension is different? Have you explored which extensions work? Both mp4 and m4v are common.

This looks great but it still doesn’t help me as I am moving files to a different location. I am hoping that @tmm1 & MCEBuddy devs can find a solution for me. Thanks for all your testing @DebbieFL!

1 Like

I would like to see this as well. I just signed up for the beta and plan to use Channels DVR with Emby. I haven’t tried it yet but it looks like the file names will cause a problem being properly recognized. Emby follows the MediaBrowser naming conventions here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV%20naming

Does Emby let you add an addition regex to their scanner? I know Kodi used to do that and Plex maybe did too?

The newly created H.264/ac3 commercial free recording file (mpg) stored in the Channels structure is ~15% the size of the original file and is playable by most modern servers/clients, including, of course, Channels and Plex.

Other file types cannot be played by Channels as the devs have created Channel’s video player.

I suppose one could create an mp4 and add it to Channels file structure…it would be ignored by Channels, however Plex would pickup both versions (original mpg and mp4). I haven’t seen an option in Plex to ignore certain files types, like the mpg, but maybe I’m overlooking.

As soon as we can develop methodology to obtain actual Showname & 1st Airing year, it is easy to setup in MCEBuddy.

Regarding MCEBuddy, I think rboy1 (dev) has a linux version? it’s a very powerful program for video file manipulation.

And, I’m not a Windows user either, except for MCEBuddy and 1 other program. I dual boot my Mac (bootcamp is also acceptable) to access Windows.

I don’t think so, but I’m not positive. I didn’t see anything obvious in the settings.

Sometimes it’s just a file you can edit.

I have been playing with Emby and Channels DVR and Emby appears to get the correct episodes from the current naming scheme, so nevermind it works great!

1 Like

BOOM nice!

now we just need mcebuddy to play nice

Any response yet from MCEBuddy developer?

I’ve recently setup a MCEBudy discussion request: to be able to at least copy original file to a new folder and replace original Channels file with the newly created transcoded (H.264/mpg) and comm free file.

I’m currently able to do one or the other but not both with presets.

Of course, the best solution would be to create: Folder (Series Name & preferably first broadcast airing year) containg episodes (by year) for Plex match (if required) and replacement of Channels file with comm free/transcoded H.264 file.

Personally, I am very satisfied with creating a Channels replacement file (utilizing comm free H.264) and NO archive of original file (currently possible); however, this configuration may not be preferable for other users.

We need assist from MCEBuddy to do both.

1 Like

You mentioned MCEBuddy on Linux earlier? I way prefer the flexibility of running things from scripts. I’ve posted something I use, and that might be a good starting point for others.

Hopefully this will get people started. It includes IFTTT notifications, for those that are interested.