Feeding a Video Capture Card to Channels

My guess is this would be similar to adding a camera, I'm looking to occassionally add a stream to Channels that I can only access through an app on my Firestick (No TVE). I have a CABLETIME Video Capture Card, a small external device. Some people use this device to stream their video games. In my case, I plug my Firestick into the capture card, which then feeds into my PC Computer that contains my Channels DVR server through USB. I can watch the firestick stream on the free "OBS Studio" on this PC. Does anybody know how to get that stream onto Channels? The card supplies 1080 30fps. Not great but it's watchable.

Nope. I was pretty much laughed at when i asked for such a request, to add a local input option. Like Windows Media Center could use capture card inputs fine, used it for my VCR lol.

However, if you got one of those IPTV streamer/capture boxes, you could convert your input device to a m3u stream and since channels can use that as source, however, they are costly and there woudl be latency issues.

I made a feature request some time ago....no one seems to want it, no one voted for it.

Thanks. What DOES work is that you can record shows in the OBS platform and then play them as Shows in Channels. You just can't stream live.

1 Like

This may work: https://blog.danman.eu/new-version-of-lenkeng-hdmi-over-ip-extender-lkv373a/

See also Local input channel (HDMI in etc) - #23 by tmm1

1 Like

If you’re looking to turn an OBS Stream into a Channels M3U, I was actually able to do this today!

The plug-in OBS-RTSPServer (https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-rtspserver.126230/) runs in OBS and is able to create the stream on my local network, and then after starting it, I made a .m3u8 file in Notepad++ to import into Channels to grab the stream.

The M3U8 File looks like:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,{ChannelName}
rtsp://IPADDRESS:554/live
#EXT-X-ENDLIST

Please bear in mind I know nothing about these playlist files but this was able to get me a very basic single channel listing that when played, streams a live OBS feed.

I used it to stream a Weather Channel emulator :slight_smile:

Sorry for being late but I hope this helps! I can go into more detail if needed.

3 Likes

Im only able to get this to work with software x264. Any idea if it can work with hardware?

1 Like

hey, can you remind me of the retro weather channel site? thanks.

For some reason it’s just showing a black screen and not any actual feed just audio?

Any ideas?

I had posted about this years ago. Had a hdmi capture card in my pc at the time or an analog usb one for vhs hookup etc. wanted to be able open app on streaming box and tune to a “input” channel and view that source. But told nope not what channels is for. Not a big deal but would be nice.

Guess what... I would use it if it was available (as you mentioned, for capturing video from a VCR). So you just got your first vote! :slight_smile:

That explains why I didn't see it (and never voted for it). I signed up with Channels only last year. :wink:

The piece of software I was using was called "WS4000 Simulator" - https://www.taiganet.com/forum/index.php/topic,4135.0.html

Ahh, sorry I don't! I don't recall running into any issues with the video feed itself then. I gave this up a few weeks after posting since the machine I was using for this was separate from my Channels server, and it got to be a bit silly tying up my regular Windows PC for this purpose to constantly stream to it. I've not kept up on it or used OBS really since then. I was just very excited at the time when I got it to work. :slight_smile: