FireTV/Android Picture-in-Picture

A request for an enhancement (feature request)....
As a companion to the Automatic PiP, can we get an 'Automatic PiP Close' when either select/ok or back/exit is pressed?

It used to work this way before you added the PiP options.

The Stable release has been doing that for a couple weeks now. Mine was automatically updated. Have you noticed any other changes in this 3.1.1 update?

the progress bar on the picture in picture window seems better, it was different on the beta version i tried a few weeks ago.
there's also some new options to do with channel orders, they look like they are to do with multiple sources, i only have freeview used with the standard freeview channer order, so nothing really there for me to play with.

1 Like

I've come across a bug:

For those using the Chromecast with Google TV, stay away from the PiP option. The CCGTV does not actually support PiP, and Channels fails to back out when pressing Back from the video player. You need to leave playback by another manner, such as pressing Home.

In the latest beta, I've hidden all PIP related settings and turned off PIP code if the system does not advertise PIP support (via hasSystemFeature(FEATURE_PICTURE_IN_PICTURE)). This should fix the issue on CCGTV.

2 Likes

Hahaha I ran into the same issue. Had to go home, force close the app & turn it off. I figured it wouldn't work, but I got hopeful that some magic was implemented.

Ahh good to know. I just installed Channels DVR last night and I'm trialling for a month. Found this issue on my CCGTV. I'll make sure to turn of PIP on my CCGTV. It works great on my Sony Android TV :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really dumb question after scanning this and a few other pip related threads. Is PiP able to play 2 channels at once? Or only for viewing channels while doing ā€œother thingsā€ or viewing other apps? Would like to see an NFL Sunday ticket style 4x4 pip option for football. 4 games at once on screen.

I don't think FireTV or other Android devices support more than one stream at a time? I've tried to launch a video while the PIP window is open, and the first window shuts down.

My primary client is Android TV/PVR Live running on Nvidia Shield Pro (Channels DVR runs on a separate server for the feeds). The last release of PVR live added a Multiview feature....up to 4 simultaneous channels. Works great.