Force Tuner (Receiver) used in Pass?

I am wanting to force my recording of "General Hospital" for my mother to be recorded using ONLY my HDHR4K. Is there a way I can add this in with Advanced options? Right now it bounces as my signal comes and goes between tuners/antennas, vs staying locked on that tuner/source.

You can select a single channel in the advanced pass.
You can now also list the channels (multiple) to use in the advanced pass.

Can't you just use the channel number ... The HDHomerun 4K has different channel #'s for ATSC 3.

You beat me to chDVRuser

I'm trying to record off an ATSC 1.0, ABC channel that is available on both my HR3 and my 4K. I need to specify the 4K over the HR3.

What if you favorite the ABC channel on the 4K and adjust the tuner priority so the 4K comes first...

1 Like

That's a good idea! Can I set that as a requirement in the pass config? Would that also stop Channels from bouncing between the physical tuners, (HR3, and 4K) for the same channel even if the 4K version is favorite?

If the ABC channel is the same channel number (say 10.1) on both tuners, then you have to use favorite channels and tuner priority. If they use different channel numbers you can set the channel number in your pass.
https://getchannels.com/docs/getting-started/faqs/channels-plus/#how-does-the-dvr-pick-which-tuner-to-use-to-make-a-recording

Would that stop the tuner/HRs bouncing between each other for this channel when signal is lost temporarily?

Not sure what you mean.
Is it the same station and same channel number on both tuners?
Do both tuners lose signal at the same time or do you have different antennas connected to each?
If one tuner loses signal and the other doesn't, disable that channel on the tuner with the issue.

There’s another way, but it’s a bit convoluted. You can create an M3U playlist with re-numbered channels, pointing to the tuner itself. So, for the ABC/10.1 example, and to have it accessed on channel 110, you could create a playlist such as:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="abc-new" channel-number="110",ABC
http://X.X.X.X:5004/auto/v10.1

Substitute the IP address for your HDHR’s, and then just assign it the guide data for your local ABC. Then when you create your advanced pass, just force it to use channel 110, and it will only pull from that source.

Another option is to use a redirect to Channels own copy of that tuner, something like: http://127.0.0.1:8089/devices/FFFFFFFF/channels/10.1/stream.mpg, where FFFFFFFF is your HDHR’s DeviceID. (Actually, this would probably be a better option, because this way Channels will also note all of the SNR in its logs.)

2 Likes

Would this allow me to force not only what Receiver to use, but which tuner ON that receiver? I'm noticing my ABC (WKRN) signal is a tad better on the 3.0 tuners (even though the signal is 1.0), than the other 2 tuners that are 1.0 only. What's crazy is that Channels is ignoring the 3.0 tuners unless I call up a 3.0 channel. Those tuners are stronger. So why not use it? It keep defaulting to the 1.0 only tuners.

I'm pretty sure Channels DVR is telling your HDHR4K to use tuner autoselect and the HDHR4K decides which of the 4 tuners to use.

I don't have one, but IIRC from SD's forum, it will use tuners 2 then 3 then 1 then 0 for an ATSC 1.0 source and 0 then 1 for an ATSC 3.0 source.

I also remember reading the HDHR4K numbers ATSC 3.0 channels in the 100's, i.e. 2.1 (ATSC 1.0) and 102.1 (ATSC 3.0).

The 3.0 tuners in the 4K are backwards compatible with 1.0. I've asked them on SD too what I can do to force tune a signal on a receiver.

Correct

It avoids using tuners 0 and 1 for ATSC 1.0 sources in order to keep them free for ATSC 3.0 tune requests.

Is this on Channels side or SD? I really need it to use the 3.0 tuner(s). I'm not using them for anything when General Hospital is recording. I use the 4K device simply because it's way better than the HR3. I've found the 3.0 tuners are 1% better than the other 2 that are 1.0 only. Where I am, 68 miles away, edge 2. I need every last bit I can get.

SD

I do not believe you can force the tuner in Channels. However, if you add it via the HDHR's direct address, you can: http://X.X.X.X:5004/tunerN/v# (replace the Xs with your tuner's IP address, N with the specific tuner number you wish to use, and # with the virtual channel number). Just remember that if you request a specific tuner and it is already in use, the tuning will fail.

1 Like

Great IDEA! How can I point it to the EPG for Channels? Since it's a custom MPG stream?

I was able to add it. It will tune when I refresh the M3U stream. But it says 0 CHANNELS. Even though I've added my zip code and told it OTA.

Did you make sure it's an MPEG-TS in the M3U settings?

Yes.