Frame drop in tvOS 16

Since updating to tvOS 16 my Apple TV 4K, experimental (now default) video driver causes frequent frame drops and visible stuttering while watching live tv.
Setting video driver to default (now legacy) solves the issue.

4 Likes

I’m seeing this as well, mostly for HDHR OTA channels. I submitted logs earlier this week.

Same here. Very apparent on OTA and I am also seeing lip sync issues.

2 Likes

Confirmed, if I go to the legacy driver then the stutter and frame dropping stops.

2 Likes

Same here. I updated 1 of my ATV's and have constant frame drops. Visibe on the video content as well as on the stats.

3 Likes

Bummer. Let's try to get to the bottom of this..

Is it happening only with OTA or TVE too?

Is it happening only on 1080 or 720 too?

Did anyone have exp video enabled before on tvOS 15? Was it working there before and only broke after tvOS 16 upgrade?

2 Likes

Add me to the list as well. Along with other slowdown and freezing issues.

I’ve seen the frame drops happen on virtual channels starting around the time the hardware deinterlacer was introduced.

1 Like

I use the standalone app and I’ve seen it happening with hdhr live channels when you set the experimental driver, no matter the interlacer.
I have seen it on both hd or sd channels and on tvOS 15 there were no issues with the experimental driver and both linear and experimental deinterlacer

I believe it is only on the hdhr channels. Did not have the issue under ios15.

I have tried matching on and off also tried changing chroma depth but it made no difference. Going to legacy driver clears the issue.

I noticed it on an OTA recording that was 480i. Enabled stats and then saw that I was in fact seeing frame drops. I had experimental deinterlacer and experimental audio enabled. I turned off exp audio and then the problem went away. Then later on it happened again on the same recording. So the audio had nothing to do with it. I then skipped back while the recording was playing (and dropping frames) and the problem stopped.

1 Like

Confirming here that the issue seems to be isolated to interlaced OTA. Same channel can random drop some, drop a lot, or not at all.

I noticed the more movement is in the scene, the more it drops.

Please try this build:

I've sent you and email to get a beta enrollment link for my apple tv :wink:

Unfortunately the beta program is only for DVR subscribers. We will try to get a new release out soon.

Seems to have fixed it. Watching CBS with driver back in default and no stutter. Thank you.

1 Like

We have submitted v5.5.1 to Apple for review

1 Like

Just installed the latest update for the standalone version, default video driver is still dropping some frames.
The situation is way better than before anyways.

Any difference with audio driver set to default?

Can you submit diagnostics from the app after seeing the drops

2 Likes

I’ve just sent the diagnostics after those drops.
Default audio driver doesn’t make them happen.