Frequent motion artifacts on Shield v9.0.1

I brought up an Nvidia Shield Pro at Shield v9.0.1 as a streaming client after Amazon pushed a FireTV update that disabled the Wolf launcher. I'm seeing frequent motion artifacts that I never saw with the FireTV client. I haven't touched the DVR server, so I believe the problems in the client. Is anyone else seeing artifacts in the Shield client?

Have you turned off the Shield's AI Enhancements upscaling thing? That adds sharpness and can cause artifacts.

Also, please elaborate on what you mean by "motion artifacts"? Like what, scan lines, ghosting, blurr...etc.

What is the source of the video that has issues, OTA, TVE, local content?

Check to make sure the Video output setting on the Shield is set to the correct resolution and frame rate for your TV.
And also that any Motion enhancements on the TV are disabled, as that can conflict with certain content.

I just switched it from the default AI enhanced to basic, though it may take some experience over time to see if it makes any difference. The artifacts were macroblocking in areas of abrupt change in content in recorded HD 1080p OTA. There were only two resolution options. I'll try the other one next. I also disabled HDR handling on the LG flatscreen. Strange, as I thought the strong point of the Shield Pro was above average CPU and GPU horsepower.

If it is OTA, the could be signal issues/interference or an issue with the source channels transmitter.
Check your HDHR signal info while watching to see if they are any drops in signal.
under details for the recordings on the web UI, it will say if any % of the recording was affected by signal issues.

You can also try changing Settings > Playback > Advanced > Video Decoder

In the DVR, I assume you mean? Its now set to hardware to avoid slo-mo effects otherwise with ATSC3 from the Flex 4K tuner, none with ATSC. The ATSC3 is presently disabled and the artifacts were in ATSC content and only with the Shield Pro, never before with the FireTV 4K.

I have several OTA stations in my area with this issue, all on the same tower/encoder. Running the client on the shield in software decoder mode fixes it. For this I use the stable version, also run the beta set to use hardware decoding for everything else.

I ran into the same nvidia hardware bug (that will never be fixed) on my local abc station. That's why my shield is gathering dust and I switched to appletv.

2 Likes

I'm still seeing artifacts in basic upsampling mode. I'll try the DVR server's software encoder next. I have the ATSC3 Lighthouse blocked anyway. Thats where the Pi4 hardware decoding was required to avoid slo-mo playback.

basic upsampling mode?

Yes. the Shield has multiple modes. The only real difference I have seen among them is the top range "AI Upscale" mode simply adds a sharpen filer to the picture (Low, Medium or High).
Imo, The Apple TV 4K and Infuse player do a much better job of Upscaling and slight sharpen of lower rez video than nvidia Shield's native system claims to do.

1 Like

The artifacts were macroblocking in areas of abrupt change in content in recorded HD 1080p OTA

He described his issue as that, which I bet has zero to do with the Shield's upsampling mode, which is fairly useless. It is either a reception issue if he is OTA or an encoding issue with the local stations. Nvidia has had this issue for years, it's fixed on newer PC video cards, but if you have an old 750ti on the server like me it's a problem. The Shields have never overcome this issue as a client either.

For me, the server has acceleration on and I have 2 clients on my Shield Pro, one accelerated for most stuff and the other client in software mode for the 2-3 stations that have the encoder that Nvidia refuses to do anything about.

Not originally they just said artifacts. If u bother to read the thread properly. They were asked to elaborate. To me generic just “artifacts” is usually over sharpening artifacts which in the case of the Shield is it’s AI Upscaling which I suggested disabling in first post BEFORE they actually said what they meant by artifacts. Blocking is different than artifacts technically.

Frequent motion artifacts is the title of the thread. Nvidia has had this issue for years on certain OTA stations.

Never had such issues always on shields only occasionally and was issue with broadcast transmission not shield related. But everyone’s OTA experience is unique. The oversharpening artifacts happen and are worse in motion.

Now the TiVo stream 4k that always had major issues with OTA for longest time

@dlpoole

Have you used the official HDHR app to see if the issue occurs in that?

Also is tuner sharing enabled or disabled?

Suggest when the issue occurs u submit diagnostics via the client app so that the devs can have a look

Hardware acceleration in server settings has nothing to do with the decoder on the client. If tuner sharing is off the hdhr stream is not even sent to channels server but direct to client

1 Like

I now seem to be trapped between needing the Channels Plus client's software decoder to avoid the Nvidia Shield Pro's motion artifacts on a playback from an ATSC station, and needing its hardware decoder to avoid slo-mo video on a playback from an ATSC3 station. Is there an AndroidTV device for the C.P. client that can do both ATSC and ATSC3 with the same decoder setting?

Same issue here. I described above in this thread my workaround by having the stable and beta installed and different decoder settings on each.

I simply switch versions to suit my needs.