Frndly TV for Channels

Thank you for adding that very helpful diagnostic to the /play/xx page. I discovered I had a capitalization error in the password string. Fixing that and rerunning the container the /play/xx page now returns a master.m3u8.

I feel very sheepish for missing the capitalization error and very grateful for your effort to return the very helpful diagnostic message to trigger the investigation.

Many thanks once again.

1 Like

no worries - i'll see if I can update the container to error on the playlist as well if it knows your not logged in :slight_smile:

UPDATE:
Latest container will error when trying to get a playlist without being logged in

1 Like

Thank You. This is exactly what I wanted to get back the Weather Channel. Awesome. Had a terrible time getting Docker Desktop to run. But that was specific to me and my use of a VPN. If you use PIA for a VPN you need go to PIA settings, Split Tunnel, and set Name Servers to VPN DNS ONLY. That'll get Docker Desktop to work on your system.

Now lets hope Allen Media Group doesn't revoke Fndly's license after the Weather Channel Plus steaming service comes out in the next few months.

Windows 10 Home 19042.1288
Server Version 2021.10.19.2206
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71 GHz

1 Like

Frndly added GAC Family and GAC Living.
Does the app need an update for the new channels?

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing too.

@matthuisman ? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Re: GAC Family and GAC Living
How often does Frndly TV for Channels docker update the playlist from frndlytv.com?
If it's like Pluto for Channels, then every three hours.
Have you tried reloading the Playlist M3U or restarting the Frndly TV for Channels docker container?

I installed and started the latest docker image but the new channels do not pull in. Does the docker app pull in these channels as the docker is written, or does the docker need to be updated to recieve the new channels added on their site. Assumed that its written to pull in new channels if available like Pluto and Stirr contaners do.

I'm not a coder, but someone familiar with python would know.
To me, it looks like it's hard coded https://github.com/matthuisman/frndlytv-for-channels/blob/master/app.py as LIVE_MAP= and the docker image needs updating.

just pushed new docker image that should enable the latest channels.

Latest container now uses an external map file (https://i.mjh.nz/frndly_tv/app.json) so channels can be updated from now on without updating the container.

There are two reasons it needs a map

1. To map the gracenote ID's otherwise no EPG
  2. Frdnly dont return the stream url with the list of channels. To get it, you must call 2x other api calls with the current EPG item playing to obtain it. Therefore, this relies on the container having the correct time. To avoid this, I just find the correct slug that is needed and store that in the map as well.

Sorry for the delay - weekends for me are mostly family time.
And Monday here was a public holiday so long weekend.

4 Likes

Thanks Matt for the update, worked as expected.
Is this something that we will have to do manually or will any new channels automaticaly pull in when they come available. If this is a file to be edited where would I find it.

Answered above:

I am still unable to remap CuriosityStream -> Curiosity Channel.
When I select it in the menu, the window closes, and then when I open it again to see if it got it, this is what I see:

It's like it selects two things even though I clicked on only one (Curiosity Channel).

This is in Chrome.

Thank you, @matthuisman. I have the 2 GAC channels now. :slight_smile:

It won't let you use "Curiosity Channel" because it has no Gracenote stationId associated with it.

If the EPG guide is mapped to the wrong Gracenote stationId and everyone is seeing the wrong guide info for the channel, perhaps @matthuisman can change it in the hosted app.json to use the correct stationId, instead of 120084 "16": [120084, "curiositystream"].

Does anyone know what the correct stationId is for Curiosity Channel?

1 Like

In another thread, I got very interesting results using this docker in Channels DVR. I think it should be mentioned in this thread too.

1 Like

How many current Live channels does this offer?
Their website says 30+ Live TV Channels.
Even counting the 7 channels they're adding on 11/18, I only count 29 Live channels.
What am I missing (besides Marketing creativity)?

They do offer only 22 live channels.

However, they are counting "Dove Channel On Demand" and "frndly TV On Demand" as 2 extra channels.

So that will make 31 channels from Frndly TV's point of view but only 29 live channels.

Actually, no, they are very careful to not mention "live TV":
frndly_tv_30_channels

Thanks, that's what I thought. They figure on-demand as live because the picture moves when you stream it. :roll_eyes:
When did you last visit their website?

True! :rofl:

I visited the website minutes before my message and just now too.
I can see it now if you scroll down to the place where they describe the features. Indeed, you are right, they do mention 30+ live TV channels. I'm sorry, I only saw the top of the page.

This is borderline false advertising.

1 Like