From New Zealand? Post your channels app experience here!

Hey kiwis,

Thought it would great to post your experience with the channels app on the ATV4 if you are in NZ.

Since the app is rather expensive a lot of potential users (including myself) don’t want to buy the app to find out there are problems specific for kiwi users.

Feel free to post to help out your fellow kiwis on what you like, don’t like, find is still buggy, and your experience with other software like plex.

Thanks!

JT.

1 Like

Kiwi here! I highly recommend the app! It works really well with Freeview and pulls in 7day TV guide automatically.

The full app is worth every cent and once DVR functionality is implemented for international markets it will be the ultimate application.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

I’m just using the free instaTV Apple TV app at the moment with my hdhomerun connect. I find that channel 3 in HD, prime and duke sometimes stutter or skip frames.

On normal TV I have no signal issues whatsoever and all my network is hardwired cat6.

How have you found all the freeview channels? How’s the HD channels in your opinion?

Are you in Auckland as well?

JT.

I’m in the UK, but had to comment as I seen you mention stuttering pictures. Is your normal broadcast signal down there 50hz or 60hz. If it’s 50hz you’ll need to go into the settings of the Apple TV it’s self and change them to 1080p 50hz, might smooth things out.
However, don’t compare Channels to InstaTV, Channels is a far superior product. I have both but never ever use InstaTV. It’s worth the extra money, honestly, dump InstaTV now as it’s not even worth the bandwidth for downloading lol

Hi mate,
I have no issues with quality of signal on any channels. I can’t more highly recommend the channels app.
Yeah I’m Auckland…you?

I have it on auto so should automatically switch to whatever is playing. Made no difference changing it to 50hz.

Sweet thanks. Yeah in auckland as well.

I guess I’m just cautious as the instaTV app is not really performing with some of the channels.

Do you get 5.1 audio with the HD channels as well?

You say you’ve got Cat6 cabling, what speed is your eathernet connections on the router? You need 1gb speed on um to get the most out of the cat6

Gigabit router. Asus RT-AC68U.

I think it maybe the instaTV app but just want to be sure before purchasing channels.

Let me check my InstaTV app in a couple of hours. I’ll check to see if there’s any juddering on some stations, and then I’ll check the same station on Channels.
From what I remember, the picture was poorer with InstaTV, but haven’t used it in such a long time.
I know I’m in the U.K, but if it’s the app then country or region won’t matter. I’ll let you know if I can see a comparable difference between the two.

Thanks.

Watching freeview using the hdhomerun view app on laptops work flawlessly for me - and that’s over wifi.

So would be interesting to get a comparison of the apps on Apple TV.

I’ve updated to the latest firmware/update for the hdhomerun, Apple TV and instaTV. I’ve also rescanned the channels.

Just trying to eliminate everything else.

Thanks again

Sorry for the delay, I can confirm the InstaTV pro app on ATV4 is :poop:. I’m watching BBC 1 in HD and it’s almost like it’s dropping frames, and I’m on the latest build. The media player Insta is using (probably apples own) is terrible.
I do not have the same issue with Channels unless I set my ATV4 to 60hz, but that’s just a U.K. thing as we output at 50hz here.
Hope that helps with your decision making.

Thanks dude.

Do you have the auto option when setting screen details on the Apple TV 4?

I think I will just bite the bullet and get the channels app.

sorry for the late reply…long weekend and all :slight_smile:
yeah I get 5.1 audio on HD channels.
so did you get the app?

Yeh we have the auto setting but it doesn’t work as intended. Channels media player is outputting at 60hz and the ATV4 auto picks up on this, not the broadcast signal, so we have to manually set it. Kind of sucks, but it’s an easy work around.

OK - finally upgraded to the channels app. Currently watching the Super Bowl in HD on TVNZ 1 and it hasn’t skipped a beat. Audio is in 5.1 and apple TV audio is set to auto.

This is truely a superior app compared to the free instaTV app - actually it’s really no comparison.

I found that using the instaTV app freezes, skips frames and has no 5.1 Audio on the HD channels.

Hopefully this thread will help any kiwi’s or anyone else for that matter upgrade to the app.

Any questions - shout out!

2 Likes

How far forward does the guide data go?

Mine only shows 5hrs maximum for today?

Is that normal??

Data comes from SiliconDust, who offer 4 hours of upcoming data.

You can switch to DVB data which has 7 days worth, but then you won’t get any images or logos.

Oh ok Thanks.

How do I switch to DVB data?

On the Settings tab, click and hold your hdhomerun.