Full Featured Roku App?

that doesn't mean they shouldn't still also be working on a roku channel. that's like saying "hey, we have an android app so we don't need to work on an iphone app. if you want to use our app, you should go with android."

The developers have already spoken on this topic, so I'll let their words stand. If you prefer a more full featured Roku channel to use with HDHomeRun tuners, SiliconDust has their channel you can use.

I would love if we have a Roku app and Chromecast support (among other things). At the moment we have a lot of other things that are currently higher priority (that will have a bigger positive impact for more of our customers) and so we really have no idea if and when weā€™ll be able to focus on those platforms.

Part of what we do is constantly evaluating the priority of what we can work on so we know we are focusing on the right stuff. Thereā€™s only three of us (so weā€™re all ā€œbossesā€ in that respect :smile: ) so that focus is all of our responsibility.

We always appreciate people giving us their feedback on what they would like to see done. Hearing from our customers is one of the tools we use to make those prioritizing decision. :heart:

1 Like

A company where everyone is a boss!

4 Likes

Really looking forward to seeing these materialize, and I'm sure they will at some point down the road. Hopefully things will settle down over the next year and allow time to develop these client apps. I'm just happy to see all of the features and improvements that have been added in 2019... keep up the great work.

1 Like

their words can stand and people can still voice their opinions that there should be a roku app. the two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

HDHomerun app doesn't work with TVE or Locast.

If MPEG2 is problematic, why not just support MPEG4? Some of us have have HDHomeRun EXTENDs transcoding to MPEG4.

Also, PSVue and YoutubeTV developed an app for Roku so the platform is capable of supporting a DVR app.

Everything we do and provide takes effort for our team to build and maintain. Currently we are focused on improvements to the existing apps that we know will have a big impact on many of our existing customers.

The technical limitations of a platform is just one of the many reasons why we donā€™t currently have a supported Roku app.

Understood. It's hard to swallow, especially for all those TV's with Roku already there, but it's not hard to imagine how complicated it would be to support all devices, and there is a pretty good list of compatible devices already.

1 Like

Has there been anything on a Roku app? I would imagine not. But Iā€™m hopeful that one day they will have an app for Roku.

The post directly above your new one gives you the answer.

I agree, Roku is a terribly locked down and limited platform.
The devs at Emby also has had a hard time with Roku, and were unable to resolve major issues with their app due to the limitations of the platfourm. Like how every time u tune a channel in the app on Roku, it locks the HDHR tuner, and then u run out of tuners, and have to force a server restart. ...as their app can not have certain access to some system command that tells the server u have changed or stopped the stream. they gave up.

1 Like

Would love to see a Roku app. We know it's possible, this team has already demonstrated it, SiliconDust has a native app, and Plex can do direct stream. I got a Fire Stick so I could try Channels on it but I vastly prefer the Roku experience, it's a lot more polished. The platform may be more difficult to develop for, but every service out there has a presence on it. Even a basic app would be better than nothing. Really happy with Channels, seems more stable than Plex.

When the channels-dvr was available for roku, I used it alot(I have xfinity 1gb service and a high end wireless access point, and never had a problem....but I get it that a majority had issues...keep up the good work...

I fully understand the effect of the technical issues on enthusiasm for Roku development, but that said, my daughter's family is reaching the end of the road with TiVo and CableCard, and has has already embraced Roku on all their sets, so just dropping a Channels box (with Roku support) into their household would be a godsend. . .

1 Like

Probably easier to get them to embrace a different streamer than to get these guys enthused. Does Roku really bring anything noteworthy to the table at this stage?

This thread goes back to 2018 and my post is only the 36th post. Demand can't be that great for them to even try and get enthused.

Actually, Roku has a large and more importantly growing market share relative to the other streamers. Normal product development wisdom would be that when your customers represent a shrinking slice of the market (think Betamax) you need to address the growing segment. But my experience as a hardware developer has taught me that software developers are wired like cats, so all bets are off.

i have several roku devices in my house and in general i'd prefer if there were a roku app to go along with the android ones...but i'm sorry, this needs to be said: comparing android / apple tv to betamax (as if roku is VHS) is laughable.

3 Likes

Cite?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I never thought about it that way, but that's a pretty apt observation :slight_smile:

And if anyone needed more evidence of that, look no further than Google's graveyard of messaging apps ...