Game controllers work too

Of course they do :slight_smile:

Channels lists all sorts of remote control options here: https://getchannels.com/docs/apps/remote-control/

But did you know that game controllers work too? I just stumbled on this after playing around on my AppleTV, was experimenting with the Xbox One and PS4 controllers for some games. Once paired, they work in the Channels app too! I was able to navigate the whole app, choose channels to watch, rewind, fast forward, etc. At least all of the basics were covered. This might not be suitable for everybody, but some folks out there might love this, so I figured I'd share. Or maybe it's just another convenient button you'll be glad you can quickly pause from? Either way I think it's cool, yet another nice showing from this impeccable software and its awesome development team!

1 Like

can you say any more about how it works? what button fast forwards? is there a "skip" function (jump ahead a specified interval) as well as just a continuous fast forward? can you scrub the timeline?

Pressing right on the directional pad. Or using the thumb sticks in the same direction.

Yes, L1 / L2 skip back and R1 / R2 skip ahead.

just holding down the right, directional button, or pushing either of the thumbticks, to the right.

not really, it's just fast forwarding and rewinding and can be a bit sluggish compared to what I appreciate as "scrubbing" which is way better using the touchpad on the AppleTV Siri Remote.

I doubt I will use a game controller as a default Channels remote, I have others I like better, I was just tickled to see it work as well as it did when I tried.

It actually would be great for use with Channels, if the touchpad on the PlayStation remote could be supported for scrubbing the timeline, too.

Something tells me that would be up to Apple support first though, they'd have to build specific support into tvOS. And if I had to guess, if the touchpad were to eventually be recognized, it would only be with PS5 and newer controllers, and not the PS4 ones.