HD Channels Don't Show as "HD" (Legacy Tuners)

I keep forgetting to report this one …

For my setup using legacy HDHR3-DT tuners in Sydney, Australia, on all three of the platforms I use - tvOS, iOS and Android TV, none of my channels show when I select HD category in either “On Now” or “Guide”, even though there are at least 6 HD (1080i 25fps) channels amongst the “All” channel group.

Reporting it here in Apple TV as that is the one I use the most! :slight_smile:

StephenH

This is a known issue with legacy HDHR models, which do not have the ability to channel scan themselves and cannot differentiate between HD/SD channels.

Ok, thanks, that makes perfect sense.

Feature Suggestion then would be for “Legacy” owners to be able to manually flag channels as HD in the same way we now flag them as Favourite or Disabled perhaps?

StephenH

That feature exists in the DVR software, but as you know the DVR is not currently available in Australia.

In the US we have also started employing some other tricks, as the callsigns for stations usually append HD at the end. If there is some similar pattern with your channel names then we could mark HD stations using that as a heuristic.

Ok, so if I look at the channel list for one of the tuners the six HD channels are named as follows:-

TEN HD
ABC HD
SBS ONE HD
SBS VICELAND HD
7HD Sydney
9HD Sydney

So it’s not a straightforward append of HD on the end for all of them :slight_smile:

StephenH

1 Like

This is fixed for the next Channels release by looking for " HD" or "HD " in the callsign. It’s not perfect but seems to catch most HD stations in Australia.

If you have a legacy tuner in another region and having the same problem, please copy/paste the affected station callsigns.

Yep, can confirm it’s working well for Sydney Australia. All 6 HD channels are correctly grouped.

StephenH

I ran into this issue after firing up channels for the first time last night. Only half of the OTA stations in my region were correctly identified as HD when scanning an HDHR-US. (Pittsburgh (15221) ATSC broadcasts)

Not that it really matters that much. Sorting by SD or HD is not a feature that I need.