HDHomeRun new 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner

I live in Raleigh as well. It's an apparently an interlacing issue and I have reported it to SiliconDust and to @tmm1. You can actually tune it in on some HD Homerun apps. My LG OLED / WebOS HD Homerun app can view it, but that app is horrible and I only use channels and am the same boat as you. May not hurt to submit a support ticket to SD. Video is still jittery for me via channels.

There are three stations where I live that appear to be broadcasting in 1080i. The stats show them as 1920x540. In the Channels app if you go into Playback > Advanced and change Deinterlacing Mode to Blend, and enable Stretch Video to Fit, it may fix it for you.

BTW, looks like WRAL just went live with ATSC 3.0. I'm getting very low bitrate stream and very low signal level that ATSC 1.0 wouldn't even dream of picking up.

That fixed the problem. Thanks for the help. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info. I had mine set to linear and experimental video driver.

It looks horrible in Channels with this method, but looks great on the HD Homerun app on the LG TV. Once it's fixed, this should be a good looking channel.

I didn't see any stutter on this channel in the HD Homerun app on my LG OLED.

I've made some improvements in the next testflight build for these types of channels. It should work without having to change your settings anymore.

1 Like

No longer need to enable Stretch Video to Fit, which is nice. Still have to set Deinterlacing Mode to Blend. But, I'll take progress! Thx.

What happens if it is not Blend?

Linear: Blue Screen.
Experimental: Nothing, just a checkerboard bg.

This is on a 2015 iPad Pro.

Btw., this issue is only on the 1080i/540 channels. The one 720p channel works fine with Linear or Experimental.

Here is what it looks like vs my settings. I recorded a 30 second clip if that will help. I then tried default driver and also got the solid blue screen.

Here's where things stand in my environment, the Salt Lake City market, and the issues I'm seeing.

SLC market:
3 stations broadcasting at 1080i (recognized as 540)
1 station broadcasting at 720p

My environment:
Clients: Apple TV 4K, 2015 iPad Pro, iPhone 12.
Server: 2018 Mac Mini
Tuner: Current firmware. Signal reception is great.

Issues:

• Video stutters and audio cuts out (buffer?)
  • Audio is out of sync
  • Center channel audio comes out of the left speaker.
  • No closed captioning
  • No commercial detection, which I'm assuming is tied to the closed captioning.
  • On the 1080i stations the video and audio issues are worse. Channels app also needs to have Deinterlace Mode set to Blend, otherwise the screen is blue.

Expectations:
I was fully aware of what I was getting into when I bought the Connect 4K. I like the bleeding edge, and I know this is going to be a process that will take some time.

The question I have is if anyone has an idea of where the source of the issues are.

• Are these app client issues?
  • Are these AC-4 decoding issues?
  • Tuner firmware issues?
  • The broadcaster needing to work out the kinks?
  • A combination of the above?

I'm just curious if there's one particular issue above all the others that is blocking them from getting resolved?

1 Like

This.

2 Likes

:+1:

I'm in the Phoenix market. Over the past 6 weeks the ATSC 3.0 stations have been upgrading and reconfiguring their specs. During this time the stations would be off line for a week or so and then return. Each time, the issues you mentioned actually were reduced. Yesterday most of the stations came back on line (ABC, CBS, NBC and CW) and I tested each with Channels. The video codec is HEVC / H.265 at 1920x1080. I'm happy to report, everything worked perfectly. Prior tests were simply chaotic jumping and skipping and the audio was broken up. But it seems this latest update by the stations has fixed the issues for me. We'll see how it goes moving forward.

For some reason Fox went off line 6 weeks ago and has not yet returned so I'm still waiting for them.

Also, they are still testing and as of this morning there were 5 new test channels on line. All of them worked but were 15 second loops of graphics and music.

1 Like

I'm in Scottsdale. I had ABC & CW along with a couple Spanish channels, on ATSC 3. Today I have none. CW worked perfect when it was there. ABC was choppy. I'll rescan tomorrow and see what the line up has.

With the latest TestFlight build, the interlaced channels should play correctly regardless of the advanced playback settings.

1 Like

It's much better, but has issues with scrolling tickers. I've seen issue with default and experimental drivers. I've captured some clips and videoed tv screen if that would help.

With the current iOS TestFlight build things are looking pretty good. I'm using the default playback settings. There is still what appears to be buffering issues on all four stations in my market. Seems like less of an issue on the one 720p station vs the 1080i stations. The audio is in sync on 3 out of the 4 stations. Just one station where the audio is ahead of the video.

Just installed the tvOS TestFlight build on my Apple TV 4K. It's looking even better there. Audio is in sync on all stations.

1 Like

I downloaded the lates and it looks / plays a lot better. The HD Homerun app on my LG app plays my problematic channel flawlessly now, On Channels / Apple TV the interlacing is still off and I can see lines in the image. Big improvement though. Also, HD Homerun app on AppleTV looks bad still.