HDHomeRun new 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner

@tmm1 Would it help to send you a few streams of CBS 17 so you can see the interlacing issues? it looks like 95% better.

I have enough samples. That's the best interlacing is going to look for now. Hopefully they stop using interlacing in the future.

1 Like

I have spoken with the CBS 17 engineer and they don't have plans anytime soon to switch to progressive until they upgrade the equipment. There are no current plans for the upgrade.

I will say if it's possible to use the settings that Silicon Dust is using on the LG WebOS app, the results are stunning. If there is a way I can capture it that stream or anything I can do to help, please let me know. However, same channel on AppleTV with HD Homerun app looks horrible.

Thanks for getting it at least usable / watchable.

Many audio issues were resolved in the latest Channels beta. Make sure you have the latest HDHR firmware as well.

These are still known issues. There is a brand new closed captioning format being used and it will take a while to integrate it.

2 Likes

I watched my local nbc news (Denver market) with the updated beta version and it is improved compared to the experience I was having last week when doing live channel testing.

HDHomeRun Firmware - HDHR5-4K (20210103)

• Shift ATSC 3.0 channels to 100+ range to avoid conflict with ATSC 1.0 channels.
  • Fix problem detecting some ATSC 3.0 channels during channel scan.
  • Fix problem handling some MMTP channels.
  • Fix model name reporting on HDHR5-4K-DEV models.
  • Auto-select PLP when tuning by program number.
  • Rename VideoCodec reporting of HEVC/H265 content in lineup.xml/json to HEVC.
  • Rename System Status page to System Menu.

IMPORTANT - you need to run a new channel scan after upgrading the firmware if you have ATSC 3.0 channels.

3 Likes

This morning most of the ATSC 3.0 channels were taken down in my market (again). The new firmware shows them now in the 100 channel range but shows "weak signal" when trying to watch. Interesting that the tuner knows they exist, but doesn't realize they are not "on air".

Yeah mine plays for a few seconds and drops out.

I wonder how Channels DVR will handle stations being on different channel numbers. Will it know ABC is now 15.1 and 115.1? If I tune to ABC as 115.1 on the HDHR 4k and all tuners are busy, will it roll over to the Quatro to ABC on 15.1?

Haven't made the 4k tuner part of the overall system yet due to all of the beta chaos with ATSC 3.0.

I have mine disabled.... in channels dvr.

Our HEVC channel is 4.1, after the firmware upgrade I have 4.1 and 104.1 and channels doesn't show the 104.1.

On the DVR, click Reload Lineup then Sync Station Mapping next to your HDHR (after running a firmware upgrade and channel scan from my.hdhomerun.com)

1 Like

That worked. Thanks

Huge improvement on my ATSC 3.0 ABC 11 in Raleigh, NC. I don't notice stuttering and frame rate looks great. The 1080i stuff has (vertical) jittery bounce in the picture, but great improvement on ABC.

I'm running latest FW and AppleTV beta

New firmware 20210103 separate the HEVC channels from the same ATSC 1.0 allowing to see both version with the same receiver. The ATSC 3.0 now goes on the 1000 channels area. Now a fourth HEVC channels is shown (CW feed), invisible on prior firmware. (Perhaps because resolution is different 1280x720) Streaming looks corrupt after second showing a green frame every time.

HDHomeRun Firmware - HDHR5-4K (20210104)

• Fix problem where some ATSC 3.0 channels would play for a few seconds then stop.

HDHomeRun App - Android / FireTV (20210104)

• Fix audio problem experienced on some ATSC 3.0 channels.

Channels looking great with ASTC 3.0 only 1 Channel had weak Signal. Sound and Picture plays great on other channels.

I'm intermittently getting "weak signal" with the new firmware on the ATSC 3.0 channels. MyHDHomerun doesn't show a tuner selected.

I gave Nick a recording I was getting Weak Signal on and he is looking at it.

What is interesting in same NBC channel this evening watching Ellen’s game of games is fine on the HD home run app and latest Jan 4th firmware.

On channels tvOS beta getting some frame stuttering on the 3.0 tuner. Updated to pre-release channels server didn’t seem to help either.