HDHomeRun new 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner

Support for captioning on some ATSC3 channels was added on iOS/tvOS in the latest TestFlight build.

Works on 2 of my ATSC 3.0 Channels. :+1:

2 Likes

There is a new android beta build uploading now with ATSC3 captioning support.

ATSC3 closed captions working on all channels in Detroit with Nvidia Shield and Tivo Stream 4k.
(Edit) also working on FireTV 4k stick.

1 Like

No closed caption in Las Vegas area on Apple TV

With which app and what version number? Can you email capture to [email protected]

HDHomeRun Windows Software (20210118)

• Add Emby compatible BDA mode.

HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K Firmware (20210118)

• Automatically fixup some types of malformed ATSC 3.0 MMTP broadcasts.
  • Cache and deliver ATSC 3.0 app files.
  • Support h264 video delivered over ATSC 3.0.
  • Support AAC-PS audio delivered over ATSC 3.0.

ATSC 3.0 closed captions stopped working Beta 101.15.216 Android TV on Nvidia Shield.

Im running the latest beta and corrected the missing frames (green image) on CW but no closed caption yet on any of the 4 HEVC channels in Las Vegas area. Attached a wetranfer link with a sample of the four channels in Las Vegas area https://we.tl/t-qJAgR1H0x5

See:

https://getchannels.com/docs/getting-started/faqs/hdhomerun/#how-do-i-capture-a-video-sample-to-troubleshoot-player-issues

Email it to [email protected]

Attached a sampe for each channel https://we.tl/t-qJAgR1H0x5

Sent! 4 30 sec sample for each broadcast in Las Vegas area

Anyone know what the status of availability of the HDHR ATSC 3.0 is? I didn't participate in the kickstarter program and just wondering about ordering one or two of these at some point.

OK, duh... checked Amazon and see that they are available now. All of our local affiliates in the Raleigh area are broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 now. For those that have been playing with this, is it worth it yet to jump into this yet? Are you seeing any programming in 4K yet?

1 Like

WRAL isn't broadcasting ATSC 3.0 yet so far as I know. It could be that I can't receive their signal here in Wake Forest also. I do have a better signal with WNCN and WTVD vs ATSC 1.0. So far as I know, there are no programs being broadcast in 4K at this time. I was hoping for the SB to be in 4K but CBS let us down on that one.

Beyond that, the stability of the experimental video drivers is not quite there. There are also still updates coming from SiliconDust to correct issues.

Most of what I see right now are occasional crashes of the Channels player and audio sync issues but I am also using HomePods as my default audio on our main TV and that is also known to have issues on both Apple's side and the experimental audio driver in Channels.

Bottomline, if I were you I would base my decision on your willingness to tolerate the issues I mentioned as well as your willingness to try beta software and/or fiddle with settings. Last, and most important is your wife/significant other's tolerance for this. Mine has a very low tolerance and the minute audio is out of sync the show is over. Of course, YMMV. This is just my experience.

1 Like

WRAL / WRAZ in fact are currently broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 on RF 23. It is a very low power signal at 1,000 feet. They should be upping the power a bit any day now. I am in West Cary and can pull in the SD versions of WRAL / WRAZ. I am not able to pick up the WRAL or WRAZ HD feeds.

More info here:
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=133&start=30&t=74854&sid=1a5c59969dd32f8f89d17d45f7d97647

I enjoy messing with it. I expect WRAL / WRAZ to make it worth it if you can pull in the very low power signal. The other stations are all crammed on RF 14 and unconverted 1080i. Meh.

Good to know, I'll look forward to WRAL increasing their power and picking that one up too.

1 Like

I am in Apex near 540/55 intersection. I probably won't pick it up either if you dont' in West Cary.

1 Like

I thought, at least initially, it was going to be more about true 1080p and better sound, not so much 4k for the bulk of programming. At least that's what I remember reading.