HDHomeRun new 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner

Oh, you're just an exit or two down from me. I live near Parkside Town commons. To be clear, I do receive RF 23. The error correction for the WRAL / WRAZ HD just won't correctly tune. They have a mobile SD version that will correctly tune and looks really good for an SD stream. They are ultra-low power now 5 kW and will be increasing to 15 kW in the very near future. Depending on your antenna and amp, I bet you can pull it in once they boost the power.

Happy to see on AppleTV Beta tuning to ATSC 3.0 stations that are too weak to tune, now correctly say too weak instead of proceeding to tune in the ATSC 1.0 or TVE stream instead. Bravo! @tmm1

How so you bring up the onscreen diagnostics? Thanks!

In the iOS apps it’s under options in the same area you find closed captioning. I think this feature has been included in other clients but I’m not 100% sure.

I'm assuming it's normal for the ATSC 3.0 channel audio to be output as Multi-Channel by the Nvidia Shield TV?

Yep. My appletv 4k does the same thing.

I just tried the hdhomerun app on my Shield TV and it outputs DD+, not PCM, to my receiver. I wonder why Channels currently outputs PCM?

My area finally has a couple of 3.0 channels in the process of being spun up. June 1 is the estimated live date for testing which is nearly 10 months after I received my HDHomeRun... Hooray for early adoption...

Meanwhile, my HDHomeRun continues to gather dust.

Mine is in use waiting for a rescan on June 8th.

I've not implemented mine since my existing ATSC 1.0 HDHomeRun is working just fine.

What is the advantage of 3.0 transmission when there aren't any shows with 4k resolution?

Mostly testing/fun, although rumor has it the Summer Olympics will be broadcast in 4k.

The 4K HDHomeRun can actually record both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 so this new device has the added benefit of increasing my recording capabilities.

1 Like

It's also supposed to give better reception for those that may have some issues with hills and trees and such. That would be big for a lot of people that only have slight issues with reception and would like it to be better.

I happen to be lucky that my towers are 10 miles away over Hillsborough Bay in Tampa so I get very good reception already.

However, I am a tech nerd so I bought one to play with as well since Tampa is also broadcasting 5 stations in the new format.

1 Like

You want to see how awesome NextGen/3.0 is going to be? Check this out:

A strong breeze can cause multi-path interference in my densely-packed area. Yet with 3.0, the worst, stupidest antenna inside a crappy hotel or a moving vehicle promises perfect reception. That is EVERYTHING to me!

If that were it, that would be enough. However, there is a bevy of other functions coming down the pike:

https://www.watchnextgentv.com/

Now, could broadcasters create a pay-TV tier? Yes, yes they could. Not on the main signal (that would violate FCC rules), but on some sub-channels. I don't see that as bad; I see that as competition with cable/satellite/OTT and every streaming service.

My market and the neighboring one are supposed to be launching this Summer, so we shall see how well it goes here on the bleeding edge and early adoption!

Thanks. I didn't realize 3.0 increased reception and range. Now if we can get some 4K programming to really amp things up!

so how does this work as far as changes to lineup?
If there is 3.0 versions of an ota channel, will it have it as a new number?
Or will it auto tune to the 3.0 version no matter what?
Say 11.1, if i tune to that channel, and i don't have a 4k device hooked up, it will tune to the normal HD stream?
Is there any settings in the tuners settings to set a default tune option or toggle on/off 3.0 capability?

I am getting the new 4K tuner, since my 2yr old Connect Quatro has died.
S.D is going to send me a replacement, i assume the same model unit, but since i they say there is no way to cancel the order i placed, i guess i will use the newer model, and have the non 4k model as backup.

The atsc 3.0 channels will have a 1 in front of them see my pic

3.0 also brings true 1080p and the HD audio codecs. It's not just about 4k. So even 1080p shows/movies/events will look better than they do now in 720p/1080i. And if you have an hdmi 1.3b receiver or newer, you're taking advantage of the HD audio already from other sources.

It seems like everyone is all tunnel visioned on 4k res.

1 Like

Questionable. For 1080p content, H.264/AVC and H.265/HEVC are pretty comparable, both in subjective quality, as well as file size/bitrate comparisons. And in the short-term, ATSC3 is a net negative, as it requires the use of the AC-4 codec for audio, which is poorly supported. Not only that, but it is a Dolby-licensed codec meaning devices must pay additional license fees to support it, or wait for an open clean-room implementation.

The choice of ATSC to go with proprietary codecs was another net-negative for the industry. We would have all been better served had forward-looking choices been made, such as AV1 for video and Opus for audio.