HDHomeRun new 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner

There is some controversy around ATSC because no industry or regulatory standards have been developed for the capabilities these devices will have to track your viewing habits and relay them via the internet. The stated purpose is ad targeting, but of course this will also feed into other data collection activities. All probably benign, but better safe than sorry. Also there will be DRM for VOD, and probably other initials.

Kickstarter participants have received an update:

It has been a busy month.

Manufacturing started as planned but we found a problem during the testing of the first 1000 units. The problem is understood and we have sample units arriving next week for verification/sign-off.

For delivery this means July deliverables will be August. August deliverables will be later than planned but still be August.

The good news - Las Vegas, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and Salt Lake City have started test broadcasts. We are following developments closely.

Nick - Silicondust

Wait, what? SD delayed the release of a product?? No!!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

hahahahaha

Posting so I can keep track of this thread since I backed the Kickstarter.

Does anyone know whether the current release of Channels DVR will support this new device or will we need to upgrade to a beta version?

It ought to work without any changes. (Channels already handles 4K HEVC broadcasts from FiOS, so this shouldn't really be any different.)

1 Like

Much stronger hardware? Celeron processors can handle h265 encoding and decoding.

Had zero desire to back it. Quite sure by the time the Philly market embraces it and the required time to support the current standard ends, I'll be able to pick up the tuner cheaper than the kickstarter price. Don't see the need to rush to buy.

Celeron CPUs are trash and always have been. And is their bottom of the barrel lowest end budget processor hardware. The only thing worse are those Atom processors that they put in netbooks back in the day. Unless it's an i-5 or higher in my experience it's completely useless for anything aside from basic email and web browsing usage and typing Microsoft word documents. Just enough power for Grandma's computer though. Heck, even the old Core2Duos were more powerful and responsive than any Celeron I have used. Of course in modern recent times AMD is the far superior processor making company from what I read in reviews, that have greatly surpassed Intel's offerings and in a much cheaper price. Not to mention they are not susceptible to the extensive and continuously updated list of unfixable security vulnerabilities that Intel hardware has.

Don't really care about your personal opinion on the topic. The point is they do the job just fine especially for a box that sits in the basement and collects dust because it serves one specific function. In fact Lon has a video showing it doing hardware decoding and making for a pretty decent budget plex server.

Not opinion, fact and experience of 25yrs of computer hardware work, Celeron is extreme low end and the numbers speak for themselves on cpu test sties. I had a Celeron Intel NUC and a few other mini pcs with that cpu, and it crawled and could not even handle one transcode stream with Emby without being at 100% and failing to keep up. The i5 model was $50 more and worlds better performer. I have had to deal with many customers that go budget Celeron, and they almost always end up complaining and return it or want upgrade cause it won't perform.

Sure, Intel has improved their base budget cpu over the years, but it is still not worth it, when at least, the far better base Pentium chips are only a few $ more, and a tad more base i series liek an i3 will blow Celeron out of the water.

The point is, don't buy the lowest cheapest thing u can that will just barely do the job at this moment in time, spend a few $ more to get a more robust and future centric and capable hardware. It will save u both time and money in the future, and that is from experience i have found this out. Hardware goes obsolete and unsupported and starts to lag behind alot faster than u think. (That vid u posted, is from 2018, and both Plex and Emby have become more resource intensive needs since then.)

I have used a Celeron powered Chromebook..and that was fine though, so I guess u could install and use something like PuppyLinux if u want a more full desktop OS.

Sorry. Stopped reading or caring as soon as you said Vista.

1 Like

Huh?

Would have sworn I quoted something. What exactly does the screenshot mean?

Windows Vista. He's joking. Because Vista was a joke. The only thing worse was Windows ME.

Can we get back on topic please? This has nothing to do with hardware requirements for Channels DVR, and anyway the topic of this thread is the new HD HomeRun Quatro 4K.

1 Like

Absolutely.

1 Like

@Pokemon_Dad I had though the posts was in relevance in asking what kind of sever hardware level would be needed to the much higher bitrate and resolution data stream of supporting 4K OTA streams, vs 1080/720 video it current has to process or transcode at times, depending on how the user is viewing.

Last I read up on h265, and have used it my slef, on not current gen (2020) hardwares, it is is far more cpu intensive to decode than h264, and mpeg 2, as the ota streams are at present.
So, far as I understand it, you will need a stronger CPU to handle the coming some time in the future, 4K HDR, whatever, ATSC 3.0 streams. Just cause a low end Celeron sever system, or client device, for that matter, can handle 1080, does not mean it will do 4K OTA well or at all.

Got it. The Channels devs don't seem concerned, yet anyway. Channels DVR handles other 4K streams OK. But if there's an issue you'll hear from me, because the NAS I'm using for Channels DVR runs on:
4 cores / Intel(R) Celeron(R)
CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz

I've seen that also. Must be something new with the forum software.
Used to be able to see posts were replies or quotes, but not anymore.

I'm sure that Synology will handle it. :grinning:
Same specs on my DS1019+