HDHomeRun new 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner

What 4K streams? There are not 4K OTA streams yet is what i was told on here.
And not even the HDHR Prime supported 4K channels, at least mine didn't.
And there are no 4K TVE channels....
So...pray tell, how are you getting 4K channels in Channels DVR...

There were some 4K Cable broadcasts that the Prime passed along. I think it was Fios Cable, but it just passes along the transport stream that may contain video in Mpeg2 / H.264 / H.265 formats to the recording software that just writes it to a transport stream file (.ts).

I was talking about FIOS 4K streams, per @racameron's post up thread. Maybe he can expand on that. I have Xfinity. But as I said, I'll be a guinea pig for ATSC3 4K when it arrives and will report my results.

Sounds like they are waiting on shipment from Taiwan before they send out units: https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361979&sid=bd40a5bb7480ffef3d5e7a4fbebbd11e#p361979

I also will be a guinea pig.

Think the J3455 might be tough from what I was researching. I was focused on the J4105 or above. This little box keeps catching me eye. Priced below many of the other j4105 boxes, and others come with just the 64gb emmc storage. This comes with 128gb nvme. And then I'd just pop on the 1gb USB 3.0 drive. Though you could do a 2.5" in the box and not have anything outboard. Then I could even mount it behind my living room TV so it has a screen if need be. And I have Ethernet back there too.

But I still see no reason to pick up the 3.0 tuner unless you're in a city that's currently testing it or you just have to be on the bleeding edge. I'm fine waiting a couple years in which the price will drop or a deal will surface. A deal always surfaces. I've never paid close to retail for anything tech related.

1 Like

That looks fine to me.... I just set up a mini PC similar to that with a dual drive external USB dock using 2 4K Drives .. Windows Storage spaces using mirroring works great.

My expensive NAS only has 4 cores / Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz and it works just fine.
Supports quicsync....

Yep. Believe quicksync is the key on these newer celerons. Not like the celerons used back in the days of the overly bloated Vista which should never be used for a performance comparison.

And I don't really see 4k being a reality in OTA in the near future. I think the real plus will be in HDR 1080p broadcasts and Dolby 7.1.4 sound. Regardless, it's still using the H265 codec, and 3.0 will support h266 as well for 8k. I'm sure my kids will get to enjoy that if OTA is even a thing then, and I end up having kids. :joy:

Has the standards group really said h266 is going to be part of it?

Just read it was capable of supporting it. Didn't ready anything about it being a part of it. Considering the focus is on a higher end 1080p signal with better audio, I'm sure 8k isn't even on their radar.

Just got an email saying the units are being loaded into a shipping container at the factory, and the ship ought to arrive in the US by the third week of September. Not sure what it will take to get them shipped out to customers after that, but it's nice to see progress.

With our luck someone will hijack the container still waiting for Prime 6 ... :grinning:

1 Like

How much did you pay the kickstarter for the Prime 6?

Why do you ask a question you already know the answer to ? There was no kickstarter for Prime 6

Just got another update: the factory didn't get it on the originally scheduled container ship, but the container will start its journey on September 2nd and is still likely to arrive in the Port of Los Angeles in late September. I appreciate the level of detail he's providing.

We were lucky enough to get our hands on one today and have been trying it out with Channels

6 Likes

Any first impressions?

Looks just like a regular HDHomeRun, and works as advertised. I was able to watch and record all four test HEVC stations here.

7 Likes

I am so glad you guys are able to be ready when our units finally arrive. Did you have to create the mobile setup just to get a signal?

Awesome.