HDHomeRun new 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner

OMG Silicon Dust has the worst luck in the world, lol...

Delivery is getting closer!

Kickstarter backers just received an e-mail asking for confirmation of shipping address.

1 Like

Shipments are going out. I got an e-mail today saying most of the dev units are on the way, and the consumer/beta units are starting to ship too. ​​The e-mail contains info about firmware updates and online support.

I see on the SD forum that folks are receiving their tracking numbers. Still no ATSC stations here, but I plan to keep my unit in my network so it gets updates and testing. (Not being a developer, I'll keep it lower than my current unit on the Channels DVR priority list of course).

Edit: got my shipping label notice.

Congrats. Hope I get mine soon.

Edit: Just got my shipping notice tonight.

It's here. Comes with a commemorative coin as a reward for Kickstarter backers... I never know what to do with those, lol, but thanks.

1 Like

Picking up these additional 5000 range channels in the Bay Area. Test signals? No video data at this time.

HDHR Connect 4K unknown channels

HDHR Connect 4K unknown channel tuner

HDHR Connect 4K unknown channel video

Sounds like the KGO repeater is San Jose. They're not on this list,
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=atsc3
but they transmit at 599MHz (RF35).
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=34470#station
and Larry Kenney's site shows it as KGO
https://larrykenney.com/sfonair2.html

Thanks, that must be it. It's not on one of the ATSC 3.0 tuners, so nothing exciting, but I do wonder why the Connect Quatro doesn't pick it up but the Connect 4K does.

I see someone else asked the question and was answered on the SD forum
I do remember seeing mention of channels in the 5xxx range for people connecting their OTA HDHR's to clear qam cable where the cable provider wasn't inserting PSIP data to identify the virtual channel numbers/names.

1 Like

I'm receiving 4 atsc3 channels. All are in HEVC and all without sound.
HDHomeRun app required me to install HEVC video extension.

That's a known issue in the Phoenix market.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74253

Thanks.

Do they show up in Channels?

Yes the video plays, no audio due to issue @kemcro mentioned.

Since you're in the bay area you may want to visit Larry Kenney's page (a retired broadcast engineer for SanFran-ABC)

I found this link Mike's Broadcast Monitors - Signal Tuning/Demodulation, MPTS, PSI/PSIP and Bitrate Statistics for local stations which has 7/24 stats on signal reception which I think uses HD HomeRun Tuners

1 Like

Thanks. On another forum a retired cableco engineer explained that any signal too faint to analyze is assigned the 5xxx range. You're probably right that it's KGO. Nothing exciting happening here.

I've turned off those channels in the Connect 4K menu, and now it lists the same number of channels as the Quatro:

(Yes I still have a Prime going too, even though we only watch three cable channels. I have another Prime waiting for the last TiVo in the house to give up its CableCARD, though I'm not sure we'll want it or if cards will even still be supported by then β€” especially if ATSC 3.0 lives up to its potential. That's a big if though.)

For those of you that kept your original HDHR connected, did you split the coax in order to add the HRHR 4K? If so, do you notice and signal quality degradation? I'm trying to determine whether or not to keep both of my HDHRs in service.

Yes I used a splitter, and no I have seen no signal degradation. In fact as noted above my Connect 4K picks up some new signals my Connect Quatro does not.

Excellent, thank you. Time to play around with my new HDHR4K and see whether the Sacramento area has signals with which to play. Last I checked, we do not...

Mine arrived today but I wasn't able to pull in the ATSC 3.0 channel. To me, the new hardware is a lot faster and seems to pick up more atsc 1.0 channels.

EDIT: Welp, looks like WRAL lost their experimental license in phase 5 of the repack. Should have a different ATSC 3.0 station online mid Nov to test.

1 Like